• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help Assessing Pressure in a .308 Cartridge

ESBVader

Total Noob
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2018
NC
I have browsed this site for some time as a lurker but have recently gotten into the PRS mindset and decided it was time to join. That being said, I apologize if this is something that is asked frequently.

I am working on a .308 load and I am having a hard time determining if I need to reduce the powder charge due to over pressure. I have three pics of the same shell that is right in the middle of a good velocity node for my rifle.

I am shooting a Surgeon CSR (16" Krieger barrel) Suppressed. I am using IMR 4064 powder with FGGM 210 primers. Bullets are 175 Sierra TMK's. 45.1 grains was loaded in the casing pictured below and produced a velocity of 2615. 45.1 is still below the max load for 175 grain bullets according to Hodgdon's load data (listed as 45.6).

The temperature today while shooting was 38 degrees and I know pressure only goes up from there as the casings warm up in better weather so I am possibly being a bit paranoid, but I don't want to push things unnecessarily. Any thoughts would be welcome.
20180312_190429.jpg

The surgeon bolt face should be square so we know it’s probably not that causing the issue but it looks to me like you have some pretty good ejector marks and case swipe going on. Back off on the throttle.

The surgeon bolt face should be square so we know it’s probably not that causing the issue but it looks to me like you have some pretty good ejector marks and case swipe going on. Back off on the throttle.

Gotcha. I have another velocity string worked up that I'll shoot tomorrow using less powder. (42.1 - 43.9 grains in .2 grain increments) Ill work on finding another node that sits below this one in speed. Appreciate the response.

Any chance that ejector is raised/not flush with bolt face?

I'd check to make sure the case necks have enough room to release the bullet.