• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help: Blind Dog

michshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2010
IOWA
I need some help. My Golden Retriever who is 7 yrs old recently lost his vision over a 2 week period. We are adapting but I am looking for something to play fetch with him. He has trouble finding his old bumpers and dummies by scent only. I was hoping someone knows of a dog toy/dummy that makes a constant sound he could key in on. Any help/suggestions appreciated.

Re: Need help: Blind Dog

i too done a search for vision impaired dogs and found some URLs that may help you and your wonderful pet, he will need love more than a toy, as for the scented toys just toss them a short way away, increase the distance slowly, over several weeks.

when i hear/read stories like this i almost cry, my wife and i love animals, our German Shepard mix at 5 y.o. has the hip problem, we spend about $125.00 a month for her medication so she can act like a puppy.

here is some help.., i hope,

http://www.ehow.com/how_4549169_deal-having-visually-impaired-dog.html

http://www.amorak.net/ArticlesCaringForBlind&VisuallyImpairedDogs.html

http://www.vetinfo.com/dog-vision-problems.html

My male Boxer is 8.5 years old and deteriorating from DM like ms in humans. Any suggestions for him? He will not be able to walk in a mater of weeks/months the way it is going. Very sad because the rest of him is perfect but the back legs are going fast. He can hardly walk just two months after figuring out what was up. Started showing signs about 6 months ago. Sucks PG

If DM (?as in dermatomyositis or myopathy) or a demyelinating condition like MS the first line treatment is steroids (prednisone) which is dirt cheap - yes it has side effects but esp. when condition is going downhill fast this should be attempted - this kind of thing like the OP's is often best first handled by a Vet School, if at all possible, which often will handle cases on an able-to-pay is exchange for teaching/training the vet students with it (the rarer the case, the more interest you might get). Not thing for your neighborhood vet to first diagnose, but then usually treatment can be monitored & follow-up care by them. There are a couple vets on the boards here...

Thanks, learn something new...well, as above, high dose steroids are oven the first thing given in MS (again steroids are cheap unless given by IV infusion) followed by a bunch of meds that cost up to 30K/year - beta-interferons, Copaxone, Tysabri, and mitoxanthone (the last is a chemo).

we give our dog Dasuquin and Metacam, Dasuquin is a tablet and Metacam is a liquid and smells like honey, i crush the pill, it's about dime size and 1/4" thick, along with 4 small dog treats some of my cereal and 65 CC of the Metacam, one (1) cc per pound of dogs weight.
i agree the medicine is expensive, but i will do what ever it takes to make my best friend feel good and active.

Stories like this make me about in tears. I lost my best friend a few years back, he was a St. Bernard/ Huskie mix. He had been by my side since I was less than a year old. It was tough. I had come back from camping and he couldnt get up. He had cancer on one of his legs, and it just tore me apart that he had to go. Not a day goes by that I dont think about him. He was a great dog. I will never have another one like him. My dad burried him back in the woods. One of the very few times I saw my father cry.

Well, I'm going to go wipe away my tears, and good luck michshot.

BTW there is a difference between a degenerative auto immune myelopathy and spinal stenosis. The latter is compressive and is the result of a tight spinal canal very common in very small dwarf type dogs like the Dachshund. The former is not surgicallytreated, but the latter can respond to surgical decompression.

As an animal lover I always have to remind myself " is this best for my animal or am I being selfish to prolong agony". Animals, just as us, don't live forever and as harsh as I seem stating this,always remember to do whats right for your loved one. Best of luck and god bless. Tommy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I need some help. My Golden Retriever who is 7 yrs old recently lost his vision over a 2 week period. We are adapting but I am looking for something to play fetch with him. He has trouble finding his old bumpers and dummies by scent only. I was hoping someone knows of a dog toy/dummy that makes a constant sound he could key in on. Any help/suggestions appreciated.</div></div>

Goldens have great noses. We used to take a canvas bumper and add a little duck scent to it, drag it around and then bury it under some tall grass or, if in the back yard we'd actually bury it under some mulch in the garden. She'd never fail to track it down. If your dog is blind, I don't think you'd want him running towards sounds. Might be a good idea to adapt the way you play fetch with him to a way he won't get himself hurt.

they do well with other dogs as a guide too. deaf dogs as well benefit from another dogs companionship