• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help building an 338RUM

jorgenloe

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Norway
Hi
Im planing the build of my new long range rifle.
Have decided for the 338RUM caliber.

Im going to use a remington action. Can I use any 700 LA or do I need a magnum action?

I also need som advice on the stock.
After some thinking Im left with two choices.
AICS 1.5 LA or McMillan A5 with seekins detachable mag system.
What would be my best choice?

Re: Need help building an 338RUM

LA and magnum action are the same. Stock choice is personal preference.

Your action should work fine, the only thing you might have to do is open up the bolt face depending on what caliber it is now. Regarding the stocks, I went with McM A5 + Seekins DBM for the longer cartridge length that it allows. I forget what exactly the AICS mags top out at, but the Seekins was a good bit more (1/4" at least IIRC). I'm having a 338 Edge built so the extra length was a little more important... for the 338 RUM it would probably be less crucial if you really wanted the AICS stock. The AICS is probably cheaper in the end assuming you bed the McM and don't bed the AICS. Pick whichever is most comfy to you!

On the action - A magnum action will work fine, the .338 RUM is a rebated rim case design and thus will work with the magnum bolt face.

On the barrel - A quality 5R barrel in 1-10 twist will work fine. Get a minimum of a 26" barrel. Get a heavy barrel, you'll appreciate the exra weight when it comes to recoil. Get a muzzle brake, you'll appreciate it when it comes to recoil.

I prefer McMillan stocks, specifically the A-5 and would recommend the heavy sniper fill, you'll appreciate the extra weight when it comes to recoil.

My preferred load is around 90 gr of RL-25, a Winchester large rifle magnum primer and a 250 gr Lapua Scenar. Yeah, the new Berger and Lapua 300s have better BCs, but I'm not shooting past 1,000 anyhow so it's essentially a moot point. The 250s are supersonic past 1500 yards anyhow.

Get a 1 piece base and use high shear strength epoxy (golf club epoxy) to glue it in. That way it won't shift and you don't ahve to worry about the screws working loose. It softens up at about 300 degrees so it is easily removable with a heat gun if you ever want to without harming the action.

Been shooting the .338 RUM since it first came out, works fine, plenty accurate.

Thanks for some good advices.
I dont have an action yet, but now I know what to look for.

The price of the stock is about the same for an A5 with magazine or an AICS. Im going to try both stocks this weekend, to see what I like best.

I have already ordered a cut rifled Border barrel, and a Roedale muzzle brake.

Also have some badger mounts waiting, so the scope is going to be secure.

I would go 2.0 instead of 1.5 asic the mcmillan will be more because you need to bed it. i would look at the mcmillan A3-5 i think it is better. look at my thread " win an africa hunt" the 338 lapua in the # 2 item is a A3-5

I see that the AICS LA magazine is for 300Win mag.
Can I use it for 338RUM or do I need the 338LM mag?

How long COL can I have in the two different mags?