• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEED HELP: But its Shotgun Related - Semi Auto

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
Looking to buy a semi auto shotgun.

Use for play...plinking...home defense..maybe the occassional duty use BUT VARY rare..

Looking to keep the cost down... but want to still have a decent gun.

Here are the 2:

Mossberg 930 Tactical

Stoeger M2000 with pistol grip full stock

Let me know your opinions..... I like the fact that the Mossber is a 8 shot... but wanted to see IF anyone own either of them.

Thanks
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Re: NEED HELP: But its Shotgun Related - Semi Auto

To tell you the truth if you can find a saiga 12Ga they are pretty cool and I found one the other day for around 700.

Any particular reason why you want an auto instead of a pump?

I've talked to several people who run Saiga 12s for various purposes, and have gotten some very positive feedback. A Saiga 12 is actually a pretty decent choice for a shotgun for jacking around, home defense and the like.

Mossberg 930s have gotten some good reviews, and as much as I hate Mossberg, it doesn't seem like an unreasonable gun.
Stoegers are cheap Benellis, and they are not very durable. They do not have the same rugged capabilities of the Benellis, but they do have the inertia operating system. Avoid Stoeger autos. When I worked in gun sales, I saw a lot of Stoegers purchased by people who didn't want to cough up for a Benelli, and were adamant that they were getting the same exact gun. They often found out the opposite. I saw lots of broken Stoegers.

You might also want to look into finding a used Benelli. Used Benelli M1s and older Benelli/HK Super90s can be had for $600-800.

Thanks guys.

I have a couple of pumps...

Just kinda looking for something a tad different to use. I will keep the info in mind on the Stoegers.

I have seen a couple of 930 tacticals for a decent price... right around $450 new..

I guess i will look at one this week and feel it up.

Matt.

I have a 930SPX and it is a first-class shotgun all around. After a break-in period of 100 rounds or so, mine will eat anything I feed it, from reduced recoil loads to 3" Mag Slugs. It is extremely accurate with Federal LE127 00 Buck which is my pet load. I can put quality Slugs in a 4" circle at 100yds all day and in less than 2" at 50yds.

Other than the initial 100 rounds or so of break-in, I have not had a single malfunction from mine and I just topped 4,000 rounds in December.

The only things I have done to it from the factory were to add a Mesa Tactical 6rnd saddle, a GG&G forward sling loop, swap the cheap Choate factory extension for a Nordic unit, and I replaced my front fiber optic post with a tritium night sight insert which I consider a must for a defensive shotgun that might be used in low light conditions.