• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help choosing a caliber..Free Opinons here!

57wade

Private
Minuteman
Dec 24, 2009
TX
I have shot a 700 Rem .308 my adult life. It is all stock with a nice local gun shop scope. I am wanting to move up to a nice custom gun with a long range caliber. I sure like the AI in the .338 Lap, but I am not sure that would be the best choice. I have plenty of self taught shooting experience with a longest kill (deer) of 825 yards. I know that is not far for a lot of you, but that was a great shot for me. I really would like to spend the rest of my adult life learning the 1000+ shot constantly. What caliber would you all recommend and what brand or gun smith would you recommend. I am in the Houston area. Thanks for all your help!!!

Re: Need help choosing a caliber..Free Opinons here!

1st choice 7 wsm, [even though the winchester brass requires more work than a caliber with brass made by lapua], 2nd choice 300 win mag...338 lapua is a great caliber but much more expensive to shoot, good luck with your choice

If you hunt with it, then I would go with the 300win mag.

I thank you for your comments. I am wanting this mainly for long distance shooting. Not necessarily hunting. I need to do some looking, but isn't the 300 and 7mm in the same general world as a 308? Your in put. Thanks

You will not be disappointed with the 338 Lapua. Yes the brass, bullets and the 99 gr. of Retumbo for each shot are not cheap, but its worth every $. The 250 Lapua @ 3000 fps will get 1000 yds in 23 moa and 5 moa for 10 mph wind and still have tons of energy.

Do I read correct that the 338 lapua is only good for around 1000 rounds before your barrel is trash? Thanks

I seriously prefer to keep my case capacities limited to a max that equates to the .30-'06. By itself, it's a decent chambering at 1000yd, but recent advances in 7mm projectile offerings have made it's 7mm neck-down chambering, the .280 Rem, very interesting.

I just think that while the .338 Magnums are very capable, they are maybe a bit overly energetic for the task at hand.

Greg

I'm a fan of the 300 WinMag, but the 7mm is nothing to turn down either. You'll be happy with a well made rifle in either caliber. The 338's are nice, but the cost of components, expecially bullets, starts to go up in this class.

Once again, thank you all for your input! I am going to take my time and not rush the decision. I really want to make the right choice, so the more input I find the better. I work a lot and don't get the the shows and ranges as much as I want, so I am kinda relying on this site to find a solid direction. Tac

OK, If your talking about a 300win mag or a 7 mm, what do you all recommend? Store bought or custom shop?

I bought my first 300 win mag a while back and it was a stock remington Sendero 700. I put a night force scope on it and it is 1/2" accurate at 100 yards and i have used it regularly all the way to 1,000 tards using 210 berger bullets.I have been very pleased with it.I believe it shoots as well as my GAP 300 Win mag which cost at lot more but the GAP looks a lot nicer.

I think this time I will spend the extra money for the nicer rifle. I have never owned what I would call a superb shooting rifle with a jeweled trigger and all the bells and whistles. Just don't know which one to buy. Once again, thanks for all the help!

If 1000 yds is where you want to shoot, look at Lapua's other cartridge. The 6.5x47 Lapua is awesome at a thousand yards. Several orders of magnitude above the 308 and much cheaper to shoot than the 338 LM. Lapua Brass, pour in some varget and top with a 130 Berger.

I am not familiar with the 6.5x47 Lapua. Has that been around for a fair amount of time??

3-4 years I think.

Incredibly strong and consistent brass but pricey.Very accurate cartridge but sucks compared to my 6x47L
wink.gif
LOL...I just put that comment in there to give my shootin bud a hard time.

Steve

But so true, no matter your intention in saying it.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3-4 years I think.

Incredibly strong and consistent brass but pricey.Very accurate cartridge but sucks compared to my 6x47L
wink.gif
LOL...I just put that comment in there to give my shootin bud a hard time.

Steve

</div></div>

I have a 7mm Rem mag for about 15 yrs now. It was an excellent choice when 168's were the only match bullet for it. Then came Berger and Amax's and now a SMK 175. At a 1000 yd range, the high BC and fps make it hard to beat.

going with 6.5X47 if you are wanting to only hit 1k maybe a little more. also look at .260REM, 6.5Creedmore. not much difference in them.

if you plan on going farther, or hunting much, step up to 300WM

but the 6.5's are a little cheaper and if you make a habit out of shooting long range, your shoulder will appreciated it more than the .300+ cartridges.

+1 for the 260! Cheap easy to aquire components, astonishing results from 100 to 1000 yards, good barrel life, low recoil! All of these elements add up to one fantastic caliber.

the 300 win mag will offer a lot of options for future growth. You can reload it many different ways and its a very popular round (wont have to look hard for factory stuff). Lots of history with it. Its not going anywhere.

Its just a very solid multipurpose round. can easily get you out to 1500.

If your looking for something with more punch and plan on taking the rifle to 2K look at the 338 LM. But, at $110 for a box of 20(for the factory stuff) you better have some deep pockets.

I haven't seen any one on here give the option of a 50bmg. You can get a 50bmg for around $1700 for a single shot that is.
And the reloading components are not that bad any more. I found some bullet tips 100 for $58. And you can pick up some mil brass pretty cheap also. The powder will cost you a penny but you will have no problems getting to 1000+ yards. Just an option.

WOW, Thank you all so much for all the info!!
Unfortunately for my gun purchase, I am in the process of moving and trying to get my house ready to sell. So I don't have the the energy right now to do all the research. Please keep up the comments and when I can get a chance to look at the new calibers you are talking about, I will have some more questions. Thanks

Whats wrong with shooting your 308, Wouldnt putting the money into more rounds down range be more effective.

Research some of these post where the rifles are posted with the results. Looks to me the 308s hold their own.

Here is an example. Compair the scores of the lighter rifles with the heavy calibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Out of 200 pts possible Here are the scores as follows.

22-308 class

1 Randall R. 199 13x
2 John R. 196 8x
3 Matt T. 195 5x
4 Steve R. 192 6x
5 Carl G. 187 8x
6 Keith D 187 2x
7 Devin D. 182 5x
8 Rich G 176 1x
8 Morgan M. 176 1x
9 Wesly G. 168 1x
10 Christian S. 166 0x
11 Ed A. 147 2x
12 Mike G. 95 0x

Magnum Class

1 Gary S. 196 6x
2 Adam R. 196 5x
3 Charles D. 195 10x
4 Adam R. 195 9x
5 Casey B. 192 6x
6 Kevin P. 190 8x
7 Dana c. 190 6x
8 Bryan R. 189 7x
9 Matt S. 189 5x
10 Clint S. 189 3x
11 Mark F. 188 4x
12 Byron W. 186 3 x
13 Dustin D. 177 2x
14 Dave F. 170 3x

.50 class
1 Karen 187 3x
2 Brad 167 1x
</div></div>

I think you may save a whole lot of money by doing research and range practice with the 308. As you stated you want to shoot 1000 yards and become proficient at it. Build a rifle based on 308 or 308 Norma. To shoot 1000 takes practice(on the range now)bad weather, good weather, wind and temp shooting environment. There was a time not so long ago that nobody thought the 5.56mm could ever win a Nation Match long range match at Perry(it has). Not to knock ya, Shooting deer @ 800 will leave a lot of high shot deer laying in the woods never to be found. Shooting a human @ 800 with an arm or leg wound makes them leave the field of battle.

Some version of the 338 would do great with a high bc bullet and running over 3000fps. Any of those would be my choice.

DoubleG

.338LM
Get you some RUAG 250gs SP Target or 300gr

1S1

While you are doing your consideration, think about what it takes to be a good marksman with any chambering. Basically, I go by the adage "Take note of the man with only one rifle, he probably knows how to use it".

Well, he only bears that out if he's been able to shoot it under enough conditions that he knows or can predict its behavior in just about any situation. So recoil become a practical issue. If it's prohibitive, it's going to encroach on the repetitive shooting that provides proficiency. It's also likely to be more pricey.

The skills don't need anything but a .22LR to develop, and the canny marksman shoots more of that than all the rest combined.

But the understanding of the C/F rifle's behavior and performance can only be developed by shooting it, lots and often. If that's something that you can't look eagerly forward to, for any reason, the process will suffer.

Greg

7MM Short Action Ultra MAG gets my vote.

Build it Off a Surgeon 591 Repeater or even Build it off a
1086 Long action repeater and seat the bullets out long.

WOW! lots and lots of info! After hearing what you have all said, may be I should just take a took at doing a little custom work to my 308. Knowing your gun is half the battle. A trigger upgrade and maybe custom stock and scope. What cha think? What scope would you recommend? Modifications? I have only ever owned a “out of the box rifle”. I have had the privilege to shoot a custom gun once, and oh my goodness how sweet it was. So what would you recommend doing? Thanks

.338 Lapua. Get a EDM Windrunner M98. Then if you want, you can later get a 408 barrel and a 50 bmg barrel. Good luck

I opted for the 300 win mag. but, that's my own personal choice. There are no flies on the 7mm whatsoever and, between the two, I think it's mostly preference. There are pluses and minuses to either and they both do the job well.

I chose that because I'm already shooting a lot of 30 caliber and, I think the 300 will carry a little more energy down range but, that comes at the cost of more recoil.

The 338 is the ultimate but, I'm just not willing to pay for the reloading components to feed it to get just a little better performance than the 300 win mag. If I do my part, the 300 will take me where I need to be and the little extra I'd get from the 338 won't make or break it for me.

Personally, I think the 300wm is ideal to shoot the 1000yd line. Loads of energy and plenty of room to stretch it out way past the 1000yd line.

If money were no object, I'd get the 338 but, I'm going to shoot the hell out of my rifle and, it's cost prohibitive to shoot the 338 for me at least.

If you're serious about upgrading your 700/308, your ideas held merit. I would use it as a testbed for some home gunsmithing, at least as much as a bedding job before you spring for that new stock. I'd ensure the barrel crown is optimal. I'd invest in a good set of 20MOA sloped scope mounts. If you have a specific issue with the trigger, replacement makes sense. Otherwise, doing it just as a precautionary measure may have less relevance to actual need and potential for improvement

At this point, try a mid-range priced scope with at least 20x at the upper end of the adjustment range, and see just how much accuracy you can coax out of the existing system with serious load development.

From this point, the stock upgrade, and a bedding job. When the barrel finally goes South, consider a new chambering, 7-08/.260 Rem, to see what increased ballistic performance can render, without a major rifle reconfiguration, and minus the magnum issues.

Once this stage is reached, you have better data upon which to base further action.

Greg

You can definitely reach out to 1000yds with a 308, but if youre gonna use it for any hunting at all you might wanna upgrade to something with more energy at that range. If youre set on .338 i would go .338 edge over lapua.

You cant go wrong with the 300 win mag or the 7mm remington mag,i have several model 700s in both calibers.

6.5x284/Have also heard good things about the 7WSM.

Gunsmith:
Call Jon Beanland
Beanland Custom Rifles
580-471-3380
you wont be dissapointed

I vote you buy my 300WM so I can put that money up for a bigger scope. If you have an interest call me. Tommy 205-471-9393. My friend was using it for 1000yd benchrest. Savage Accutrigger 300WM heavy barrel in a Choate Ultimate Sniper Stock. It has a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x50 B/C reticle illminated with Leupold rings. It has roughly 100 to 150 rounds thru the rifle with only 20 on the 3mo old Lupold. .5 MOA at 100 with BH 190match. Thanks

Oh, forgot to say that the statement above would be my personal opinion.lol Thanks

Ive been ready a bit on another site and the 338 Lapua Ackley improved is a pretty sound choice. Guys are running 1:9 twist in a 29-30" barrel and are getting right around the 3000fps mark with 300 gr smk. they are also getting 20+ loads on a single casing.

50bmg,408cheytac,338lapua,338RUM.In that order.I personally love the 50Bmg.Big bullet,accurate and you'll never have to say that you didn't bring enough gun to the party.Plus there's lots of choices for projectiles that you can't get with any other type of caliber out there.Match or plinker Ammo is readily available and is cheaper than alot of the puny calibers.
Leave your tried and true "go to" 308 alone and have a custom shooter made with all the bells and whistles.There are alot of custom calibers out there that are super accurate at loooong ranges,but you'll need to reload for alot of them.If you don't reload,your caliber choices are limited to what your wallet can afford for feeding the rifle.
STEVE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tac57</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do I read correct that the 338 lapua is only good for around 1000 rounds before your barrel is trash? Thanks </div></div>

More like 3500+

I would consider the .243 if I need to neuter my gnats. The .260 is like a .243 with actual balls.

If you intend on shooting it all day stay at or below .30 cal: a 7mm Mag or a .300 Mag.

Modern bullets allow more with less approach

Any of the good 6mm, 6.5 or 7 will do what you want

Largest i would go 7 SAUM, based on rebarrel on current 308

x47 or 244 AI rem necked to 6.5 see thread on 6mm crusader

6mm
http://www.6mmar.com/Super_LR.html

all based on just a rebarrel using current 308 action

If you are primarily interested in target shooting out to 1,000 yards then pretty much anything from .223 up will work for you. Matter of fact, Jerry Teirney out in California has been doing some interesting things out in California with a .223 and 90 gr Bergers in a 1-8.5 twist barrel shooting in 1,000 yard bench rest matches with his 16.5 lb Palma rifle chambered in .223 (with scope mounted). The 80 gr match bullets in a 1-8 twist barrel will work too.

Next easy step would be the .260 with the 130 gr Berger.

I like a 6.5 X 284, out of the box Lapua brass, Sierra, Berger or Lapua bullets in the 140 gr range. Very easy to shoot to 1,000 yards. Very hard on barrels with 20 round strings.

Any of the magnums will work. The short magnums in a long action would seem to be the way to go so that the long VLDs can bee seated out of the case. I'd probably go with the Remington SAUM case as it has a bit more neck to work with and Norma has been producing brass.

As far as all the other bigger chamberings go, save your money as the larger they get the more increasingly impractical and expensive they get. Most the recommendations for such things usually come from folks that don't have one themselves. I have a few of the big magnums simply because I could afford them and wanted them but they spend most their time in the safe.

Right now my two new builds in progress are another .308 and a fast twist .223. Both for 1,000 yard shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats wrong with shooting your 308, Wouldnt putting the money into more rounds down range be more effective.

Research some of these post where the rifles are posted with the results. Looks to me the 308s hold their own.

Here is an example. Compair the scores of the lighter rifles with the heavy calibers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Out of 200 pts possible Here are the scores as follows.

22-308 class

1 Randall R. 199 13x
2 John R. 196 8x
3 Matt T. 195 5x
4 Steve R. 192 6x
5 Carl G. 187 8x
6 Keith D 187 2x
</div></div></div></div>

It should be mentioned that I shot that 199 13x with a custom built 243 and 115 dtacs, not a 308.