• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Need help choosing a complete rifle

ck1a

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2021
Hattiesburg, MS, USA
I've been shooting pistols and ARs for years, and am looking to get into long range. For now I'd be thrilled to go 1000 yards. I am looking at a couple of different starter rifles, all in .300 PRC, with the stock/chassis, and would like y'alls opinion on which one is going to suit my needs best. I love to tinker and over time will upgrade some things, so I would like a platform that has aftermarket accessories available. I will also be handloading the cartridges. I will be mounting a Vortex PST Gen 2 on it, with Nightforce rings, and Omega 300 supressor, which I already have. I certainly don't know much yet, and will look at other rifles. My budget is $1400 MAX. It may be in my best interest to go with the $950 one and go ahead and upgrade the trigger, etc. Or get a rifle with a standard stock and add the KRG Bravo chassis. So many options!
I'm looking at the:
Savage 110 Precision 300 PRC 24" model 57593 https://www.theshootingstore.com/single-product?product_id=246430
Bergara B-14 HMR 300 PRC 25" Model B14LM358 https://www.rkguns.com/bergara-b-14-hmr-rifle-300-prc-26-5-1-b14lm358.html

Last edited:
The HMR would be your best bet since it is a 700 footprint action. Plus they shoot pretty well out of the box typically

The first step in purchasing a new rifle is getting brass. I've talked to 2 random strangers in town recently that have a new rifle and can't shoot it because there are no factory 6.5 PRC bullets available, and the other guy couldn't find any PRC brass to reload.

I think Ndbowhunter and I are more curious as to why the 300PRC or 300WM as opposed to a 7mm or 6.5 caliber? 300PRC ammo is pretty much non-existent right now. I don't reload so I can't attest to reloading components but I know those are low too just by seeing threads on here and me researching trying to get in to reloading.

I think Ndbowhunter and I are more curious as to why the 300PRC or 300WM as opposed to a 7mm or 6.5 caliber? 300PRC ammo is pretty much non-existent right now. I don't reload so I can't attest to reloading components but I know those are low too just by seeing threads on here and me researching trying to get in to reloading.
I had a 7mm Rem Mag, and can't really say why, but it didn't blow my skirt. May have been the rifle. 6.5 CM doesn't have enough power behind it to do much damage to flesh at 1000 yards, so I've heard and read. Have a friend that has one, and great shooter though. Lapua brass on the 300 PRC is out until June. I'm in no hurry. Building a motorcycle, so my spare time is take right now.

Last edited: