• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help choosing caliber for new build

gregbrownlow

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2019
Hello all,

I want to build a new light weight, short barreled, suppressed hunting rig. I need help with calibers that I don't have any experience with.
I would like 3000fps with as heavy of a bullet as possible (high BC), with a barrel in the 18"-20" range.
I would like 6.5 caliber, but I'm fine with 270's, 7mm's, and 30's.
I'm good with wildcats.
I would prefer short or medium length action, but I'm fine with long action as well.
I don't really care about barrel life as this is going to be a hunting only rig.

So far I'm thinking of 6.5prc (a little slower than I would like with the heavier pills), SAUM/WSM calibers, Nosler magnums (not sure it will burn all that powder in that short of barrel), and the Sherman wildcats.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to hear from anyone with experience with the Sherman wildcats especially.

Thank you all.

I shoot a 22” 6.5 SAUM w/140 Grain Accubonds at 3000 FPS-TBAC Ultra 9. Very happy with the set up.

Reactions: gregbrownlow
The 27 or 28 Nosler’s would be a good choice if you could deal with a little more barrel. The 308 win seems to do fine in 18-20” barrels. For a hunting rig I’d stay with the 308. Plenty of choices of ammo, well usually. Even with the current ammo shortage there’s plenty of 308 to be had. The 6.5’s are good too but inside 500 yards I prefer the 308.

Seems like you’re on the right track. A good compromise for a shorter barreled hunting rifle that can still launch at 3000+ with a decent bc out of a short action would be a 6.5 PRC or 6.5 SS and a 130 class bullet out of a 18-20” tube. I’d think you could get close to 3000 with the 140’s and a 20” with Wyatt mags. And now Lapua will be making the PRC brass. Either would make for a sweet hunting rig.

6.5 Saum seems pretty good to get the 3k mark on a shorter barrel. You’d be lucky to get a prc in that range with a 22-24. With a 20 you’d really be stretching. Why not push brass and barrel less in a Saum. Heavies being 150-156 range. Might be able to do it with prc and 140s. I’m wanting to build a short 7 Saum at 20” and a silencer and push the 168s in the 2900 range. I can push 180s at 3010 with my 26” Saum so I think I’ll be able to do it fairly easy.

6.5 PRC is gaining support from the ammo manufactures now, so it would be something you might consider if you want a more modern cartridge. If you want more ammo support and availability, I would look at 300 WSM or 7mm WSM.