• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Need help deciding- 9mm conversion barrel for SIG

DP425

I’d rather be sleeping
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2009
MI
I've got two Sig P229's, both .40, one pretty heavily customized, without a rail and used for heavier clothing carry. The other is almost entirely stock and has a rail. The one I'm looking for input on is the stock railed pistol.

I will be sending it in for trigger and action work, but I also want to be able to shoot 9mm out of it so I've decided on a bar-sto 9mm conversion barrel. The issue is if I go with the extended and threaded version or the extended and ported version.

I'm currently in Michigan, where we currently do not allow suppressors. I hope that will change soon, but I'm not aware of any bills currently waiting to pass that would allow it. The barrel will not be used for carry or duty given it's a conversion barrel. I've never shot a pistol that's ported, so I'm not sure the difference would be. I like the idea of mounting a suppressor, but again- I can't do it right now. Use will be mostly targets, some falling plate shoots... maybe I'll get into some sort of competitive pistol shooting as well.

Lets hear the thoughts- threaded or ported?

Re: Need help deciding- 9mm conversion barrel for SIG

I would recommend strongly against using a 9mm conversion barrel in a breach face that is made to fit .40. It will never be reliable.

Given only the options mentioned in your post, I would get the threaded barrel as a ported barrel is going to result in unnecessary and annoying blast and be of little benefit to you. With that said, a threaded barrel is also useless if you do not and cannot own a suppressor.

Are they THAT unreliable? I'm not going to be carrying with that barrel in it.

SO the ported barrel doesn't really provide much for helping you get back on target?

A ported barrel will flip less. How much less? Depends on the ammo, powder choice, bullet weight, etc.

I would absolutely not put a 9mm barrel in a .40 slide. It'd be awesome to have a 9mm barrel for my 2011, but I wouldn't do it without having a slide and barrel that were fitted to each other. In fact, I bought another gun--a 9mm--to make up for it.

If you're wondering how unreliable it might be, just measure the extractor groove on 9mm Luger versus .40 S&W.

If you want a 9mm, buy one!