• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help deciding scope purchase

sierra11b

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2010
Sacramento
I know, another "which scope thread"...

I have been searching and doing my homework like crazy for months, have established a budget of approximately $2000 but will go more if it's worth my while in the long run. Like most here, i've been shooting all my life but decided I wanted to clean out some of the gun safe with intentions of using the proceeds toward a precision set-up. Sure, it's probably a lot more gun that I need now, especially compared to the skill level of most here, but I figured do it right the first time so I'm content for awhile.

I bought a rifle from R&D precision. Here are the specs from Randy:

<span style="color: #000099"><span style="font-style: italic">"The rifle started as a virgin Remington receiver. These weren't Midway receivers but receivers that were obtained straight from the USMC when they place their order with Remington. These receiver don't even have finish on them when we get them. Several dealers several times a year will tack on orders with the USMC when they order from Remington. These receivers are some of the straightest factory Remington's I've seen.

The receiver has been re-machined (the correct way) to accept double stack AW .308 mags. It will also take single stack AICS mags.

Caliber is .308 match. 22" Bartlein modified MTU tight bore barrel 1-11.25 5R. Threaded and caped 5/8x24. My design muzzle brake.

My tactical bolt conversion.

Badger M5 DBM with my TAC LATCH.

McMillan A5 with Terry Cross Loggerhead cheek hardware. Standard fill. four flush cups and one bipod stud. GAP camo.

Pillar and Devcon bedded.

Holland recoil lug pin to the receiver.

Steel TPS 20-MOA base.

All CM metal is parkerized before final finish.

Finish is OD Green"</span></span>

ERICSUNQUIST2.jpg

I am leaning toward a FFP scope mil/mil. The ones that appeal to me are the NF F1, and the Vortex HD even though I'm not particularly fond of the minimum 5X setting. What I am torn with are reticle options and also want to know what others would consider, even if it's a different scope altogether and slightly more or less pricey.

Re: Need help deciding scope purchase

You have two solid scopes there to choose from. I have had both and I like the Vortex's EBR-3 reticle better than the MLR in the NF. The minimum power isn't that big of a deal as it's better to have that extra 5x on top than 1.5x less on the bottom.

New the Razor should be under $2000 with rings where the NF F1 will be over that mark. Get ahold of Scott at Liberty Optics and see what he can do for you.

You could also keep an eye on the Optics for sale section here on the Hide and sometimes find some really good deals.

Wow!! nice stick! I dont think you can go wrong with the F1 or the Razor HD, both are great scopes. I like your position on the FFP MIL/MIL, stick with it, I guess the only other options really are a USO for slightly more, or a S&B. The good news is, with a budget and selection like that You cant go wrong.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: coldboremiracle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow!! nice stick! </div></div>

Now there's an understatement!!

Pesonally I'd suggest a cheap stopgap scope now and eat Ramen until a USO or S&B can be obtained........

I agree with Rob01 on the choice between the two, but would spend an extra 30% to get tried and true. (note Rob's use of the past tense when discussing the Vortex and NF).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I agree with Rob01 on the choice between the two, but would spend an extra 30% to get tried and true. </div></div>
Not tryng to start a pissing match, but while Vortex might be new on the block Nightforce sure isn't, and most would consider them tried and true. I know you love your USO's, and they make great scopes, but I have heard of many more issues arise with the US optics brand scopes then with Nightforce.

Just had to start something again, didn't you....
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<span style="color: #3333FF">Not tryng to start a pissing match,</span> but while Vortex might be new on the block Nightforce sure isn't, and most would consider them tried and true. I know you love your USO's, and they make great scopes, but I have heard of many more issues arise with the US optics brand scopes then with Nightforce. </div></div>

Best way to not start pissing matches is to not start pissing matches.

You need to quit trying to pick apart my posts and brush up on your comprehension. Obviously your time out didn't point that out to you.

By agreeing with Rob, I was agreeing with the Vortex recommendation, and then adding that I'd spend 30% over that for S&B or USO 5-25's. The tried and true is in reference to USO/S&B over Vortex's limited history, not NF's.

And btw, NF's FFP scopes (the OP decided he wants FFP if you can read) are not "tried and true" and are arguably not nearly as good as NF's SFP NXS line. Then there's the fact that they are limited to the 3.5-15 F1.

Thanks for your input, but again you are parroting what you read rather than experience.

There is an "ignore user" feature. Somebody please put it to good use.

To OP, for 2000 I'd go NF F1, or if you're looking for more magnification spend a little on a used S&B.

USO is of course an option, and finding used ones isn't hard. If you aren't fond of the 5X minimum on the Vortex, there's always the 3.2-17 USO makes.

Nightforce is one of the beat bang for the dollar scopes you can get on the market. If you would like to do the FFP the NF F1 would be a good way to go. Also the another one I have been testing and have been really happy with is the Leupold Mark 4 M5.

Mike @ CST

Thanks for all the replies.

@Mike - From all the research I have done it really pains me that many people frown on Leupold for whatever reason(s). I can remember them being the benchmark when I was a kid, young adult with a VXIII, and babied them in the Army. I have always had a bias toward Leupold and really want to like them... maybe if there's a review on the M5s?

As for the USO in 3.2X17 or S&Bs, what reticle is favorable? Which scopes should I be looking at?

The GAP mil is probably USO's most popular mil reticle, but I really like the mil MPR.
Check out USO's site and look at the SN3 line. I personally think the Ergo objective shines over the T-Pal (side focus). They can build the scopes any way you want.
They could even have the scope's parts cerakoted to match the rifle prior to assembly.......

I'll leave the S&B questions to those with info than I.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could also keep an eye on the Optics for sale section here on the Hide and sometimes find some really good deals. </div></div>

There's a razor for sale right now...
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2172343&gonew=1#UNREAD
(in the interest o f clarity...
I have no experience with the scope or seller)

The deciding factor for me would be the 10 mil per turn turrets on the NF coupled with the glass and reliability. I like the Vortex reticle better and prefer more magnification but I dislike the tall knob and just am not impressed with the glass for the price point.I like my IOR 6-24x56 so much I'm considering selling my NF and USO then getting a IOR 3-18x50 and another 6-24x56.

I have been looking at the IORs and have been liking what I have been reading. It really seems like they are moving in the right direction. I would have bought the Vortex in the classifieds but want to get through Christmas before I purchase.

Here's one last question... I intend to cerakoat whichever scope I choose to match the OD green. I have an Atlas on order and intend to mount it via the picatinny rail by referencing that DIY counter bore stock thread for the McMillan A5. Figure kill two birds by sending them out for coating at the same time and then be ready to shoot by spring. Do Vortex/NF/IOR still guarantee their scopes if you coat them?

Well, the cool thing about your dilemma is that no matter what you get, you're going to have a nice scope. USO scopes are nice, but I never thought that they were worth the price tag. I've seen more than a couple of people have issues with their turrets. USO did take care of their issues and pretty quickly too.

I've only shot one Vortex Razor and didn't spend a whole lot of quality time with it, but the glass was really clear and it had a good substantial feel to it. From what I've seen, there customer service is second to none.

I'm a big fan of Nightforce. They have a tank like build and have very good glass. I think it's a tough package to beat for the price. Just be sure that the FFP reticle is what you want and will be what will suit you the best. I got an opportunity to spend an afternoon with an F1 and after having done so, decided that it wasn't for me. Keep in mind that just because you have a SFP reticle, it doesn't mean that you can range only while using max magnification. You just have to know how to use the reticle at different levels of magnification. On my latest scope, I'm learing to use it at 22X and 11X. I like having the full size of the reticle all of the time, but I don't know if that will change as I get better.

Really, there just is no wrong answer to your question. If you can't decide, just get the one that you think looks the best on your rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Really, there just is no wrong answer to your question. If you can't decide, just get the one that you think looks the best on your rifle.</div></div>

This is a good position to be in!
laugh.gif

Can anyone answer my Cerakoat question? Do NF/Vortex still stand by their guarantee and customer service if I were to coat it to match OD green?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better call and find out first hand.Then let us know what they said if you would. </div></div>

Emailed both and they got back to me around the same time. Here's what both said to the following question:

<span style="font-style: italic">
"To Whom it May Concern:

I am in the market for your RAZOR HD 5-20X50/F1 scope and was wondering if applying a coating - such as one that does not need baking and air cures - does anything to void the warranty?"</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vortex Customer Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello,
Nope, it will not void the warranty.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nightforce Customer Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Applying a coating to the optic will not effect the warranty unless the coating affects the operation of the scope such as, interfering with the O-Ring seals. </div></div>

I like Vortex's response despite it being a similar answer to NF. No BS and to the point. Really makes me believe I can deliberately run over the scope with a truck and they'll replace it no questions asked. But at the end of the day NF is basically saying "yes, so long as you're not baking the scope which can damage the rings"

It won't affect the warranty on an IOR either.

IOR, Razor, F1, Premier Heritage, S&B, pick one at the price and features that appeal to you and off you go. Nice stick!

Scott

I would go with a Premier 3-15X50 with a GenII Mil-dot. To me, be it precision shooting, tactical comps or just plain fun it's the best value for money scope out there and if you decide to go second hand there are some kicking deals on the Optics For Sale section. There was a great deal on a single turn one and 22Mils is all you need to get to 1,000 and beyond.

Good luck and happy shooting with that beauty. I wouldn't mind some close ups of that brake you designed. Any field reports on it's effectiveness?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EventHorizon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Good luck and happy shooting with that beauty. I wouldn't mind some close ups of that brake you designed. Any field reports on it's effectiveness?

</div></div>

None yet, at least from me. It is Randy's design from R&D precision: http://www.rdprecision.net/

brake1.jpg