• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help deciding which big bore caliber/cartridge 375, 408, 416, 50, 37XC

ABC1000

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2018
I have 7mm and 30 cal magnums for some ELR but nothing of what the 375, 408, 416 (not as interested in 50 this far) cartridges are capable of as far as range. I rarely shoot over a mile now but the range I shoot at has targets out to 2 miles and I’m starting to get away from reclusive shooting on my own and start competing a little bit at my local range.

I’m thinking 375 would be the easiest on the pocket book for volume shooting but also gives better bcs than the 408s or 416s but was considering the 416 until I read about the quality of brass and lack of it in general as well as bullets.

The best bang for the buck at a price point I can afford (I’m not just about lowest price though) from what I’ve found seems to be the Desert Tech HTI. I can get the rifle with a custom aftermarket match barrel, press, reloading dies and equipment, updated targets and all my reloading components for around $8,000 if I go the Desert Tech route. I’ve got a gun builder I’ve used that will sell me the gun with an upgraded barrel (same barrel a lot of the Comp shooters are using but name escapes me) for right at 5k... and that will give me 3k to work with as far as everything else needed to get me started with this platform.

I’ve looked into the AI and Cadex, the Barrett, the Armalite, the McMillan and a couple others and it seems like I’d be into some of these considerably more or they’re not going to be as accurate/sturdy enough (armalite). I’ve also looked a little into David Tubb’s solution of modifying an action and chassis to fit as well but am not sure about this option. I’ve only shot my buddy’s AI and I’m sure the ax50 is one heck of a rifle system but I’d be more than double the cost of what I can get into a desert tech for and that’s before the cost of switching cartridges to get the 375 I’m thinking I want in the first place. Ive heard nothing negative about the Cadex either but that would still be a few thousand more than the DT. I’ve heard about issues with the extractor and springs on DT (mags a bit as well) but that they shoot really well. My gunsmith says he’s had great luck with them with his barrels in a lot of guns he’s put together.

Is there another platform that I should be considering? A buddy of mine and I have several twin guns to help save time, collaborate experience and shorten learning curves... he also brought up a 37XC so we could put this in whatever action/chassis we desire.

What was some of your reasoning why you purchased the platform/cartridge you did?
It seems that RCBS is the best option for the 50 press but is there something that I’ve missed? I’m thinking the 390 Hornady A-Tips are a solid option in 375 (408).

Looking for advice...

thanks!

I’m really interested in the 37XC.
lapua bolt face
Decent speeds with match kings for affordable bullet option.
Brass has a good reputation and case design seems really efficient.
Shoots far enough for me at the 2000-2500 I have locally.