• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help deciding which big bore caliber/cartridge/platform to choose for ELR Setup

ABC1000

Private
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2018
I have 7mm and 30 cal magnums for some ELR but nothing of what the 375, 408, 416 (not as interested in 50 this far) cartridges are capable of as far as range. I rarely shoot over a mile now but the range I shoot at has targets out to 2 miles and I’m starting to get away from reclusive shooting on my own and start competing a little bit at my local range.

I’m thinking 375 would be the easiest on the pocket book for volume shooting but also gives better bcs than the 408s or 416s but was considering the 416 until I read about the quality of brass and lack of it in general as well as bullets.

The best bang for the buck at a price point I can afford (I’m not just about lowest price though) from what I’ve found seems to be the Desert Tech HTI. I can get the rifle with a custom aftermarket match barrel, press, reloading dies and equipment, updated targets and all my reloading components for around $8,000 if I go the Desert Tech route. I’ve got a gun builder I’ve used that will sell me the gun with an upgraded barrel (same barrel a lot of the Comp shooters are using but name escapes me) for right at 5k... and that will give me 3k to work with as far as everything else needed to get me started with this platform.

I’ve looked into the AI and Cadex, the Barrett, the Armalite, the McMillan and a couple others and it seems like I’d be into some of these considerably more or they’re not going to be as accurate/sturdy enough (armalite). I’ve also looked a little into David Tubb’s solution of modifying an action and chassis to fit as well but am not sure about this option. I’ve only shot my buddy’s AI and I’m sure the ax50 is one heck of a rifle system but I’d be more than double the cost of what I can get into a desert tech for and that’s before the cost of switching cartridges to get the 375 I’m thinking I want in the first place. Ive heard nothing negative about the Cadex either but that would still be a few thousand more than the DT. I’ve heard about issues with the extractor and springs on DT (mags a bit as well) but that they shoot really well. My gunsmith says he’s had great luck with them with his barrels in a lot of guns he’s put together.

Is there another platform that I should be considering? A buddy of mine and I have several twin guns to help save time, collaborate experience and shorten learning curves... he also brought up a 37XC so we could put this in whatever action/chassis we desire.

What was some of your reasoning why you purchased the platform/cartridge you did?
It seems that RCBS is the best option for the 50 press but is there something that I’ve missed? I’m thinking the 390 Hornady A-Tips are a solid option in 375 (408).

Looking for advice...

thanks!

I’d search this sub forum for info on all your choices.
Most have plenty of recent threads about them.
I’ve been reading through them for the last two months before kinda setting a plan on a build.

Here’s my couple cents ...
416’s are extremely expensive and not a good choice for a first ELR type rifle. A custom 416 will run you in the middle teens ... all said and ready to go.

If your intrigued by the sport enough and would like to compete .... awesome.
Have a custom rifle built in a 375 Cheytac.... a std Cheytac. You can get into a really really good custom rifle with a McMillan stock for about 7K.
You will appreciate the difference in a chassis versus a good McMillan in ELR.
A 375 will allow you to use a Redding ultramag press, good brass and good bullet choices. Powder is much more attainable and the 375 is easy to tune.
Hire a machinist/gunsmith with experience in building ELR rifles. Don’t use a garage gunsmith..... check them out before you decide to use them.
Go to a ELR match and look, see, touch and feel. The guys will help save you both time learning what NOT to do, and save you money.

Good luck and Great Shooting
Chris Schmidt
Tennessee
Warner Tool Company
TacomHQ

I’d search this sub forum for info on all your choices.
Most have plenty of recent threads about them.
I’ve been reading through them for the last two months before kinda setting a plan on a build.
Thanks, I’ve read quite a few forums but don’t want to hijack somebody else’s forums with all my specific questions. I’m leaning toward the 375 Cheytac and might even do the 37XC just to see if I like it in one of these new savage elite precision which would only cost me a barrel and dies essentially as I could swap back out of it very I expensively I so desired.
Thanks

The 37XC is definitely more budget friendly and leaves more money for components. Good brass and dies. I built my budget 37 just to help me make this same decision. I’m happy with the 37XC as of now and planning my custom

Reactions: Steel head
Thanks, I’ve read quite a few forums but don’t want to hijack somebody else’s forums with all my specific questions. I’m leaning toward the 375 Cheytac and might even do the 37XC just to see if I like it in one of these new savage elite precision which would only cost me a barrel and dies essentially as I could swap back out of it very I expensively I so desired.
Thanks
I’m thinking of going the same route with the new savage.

So I just bought the savage 110 elite precision last night on gun broker and am now debating between just shooting the 338 and then upgrading or doing the 37XC from the jump.

if I do go 37XC from the jump what barrel length and twist should i get? The savage338LM barrel is 30” 1-9 twist. I have everything in my online shopping cart to go for 338 LM but am on the fence with the 37XC or even the 33XC as both cartridges use the same Tubb dies.

What barrel manufacturer would you suggest for either? as far as a particular reamer goes is there one that’s better than another? Maybe I’ll reach out to David Tubb and see. I’ll also need go-no go gauges unless somebody’s making a shouldered barrel for them.

Any last thoughts before I put the nail in the coffin?

There’s two 37xc reamers.
short throat for solids and long throat for standard bullets and solids.

on his website there’s plenty of information about twist, loads and speeds.

If you go to the 37xc you want at minimum 32in 1-9 twist barral. Tubbs stock barrels are 33in 1-8 and I am shooting a 32in 1-7 375ct works well. I am getting my rifle re-barreled and am going 34in 1-7 twist and will be shooting 400 gr lazer cutting edge bullets

Reactions: jasent
If you go to the 37xc you want at minimum 32in 1-9 twist barral. Tubbs stock barrels are 33in 1-8 and I am shooting a 32in 1-7 375ct works well. I am getting my rifle re-barreled and am going 34in 1-7 twist and will be shooting 400 gr lazer cutting edge bullets
Thanks for the info. I talked with Gary Schneider today and also David Tubb’s place and they are trying to get me info on barrel life (I know we’re all different but at least some kind of range), velocities, specs etc.. I’m debating between the 375 and the 33 out of the gate but it sounds like the best powder is H50BMG which is nowhere to be found if going the 37XC route. I have 4-8 lbs of retumbo, H1000, RL33, US869 which the only one of them on the shelf right now is 869 so I’m debating what to do. I don’t want to start something with only a few lbs of powder...

I’m also considering shooting the 375 A-tips but am guessing they won’t shoot in a 7 twist with lead core. Any thoughts here would be appreciated. I can shoot them for 1.40 vs $2.30 which adds up.

The 37XC is definitely more budget friendly and leaves more money for components. Good brass and dies. I built my budget 37 just to help me make this same decision. I’m happy with the 37XC as of now and planning my custom
What kind of accuracy are you seeing in your 37xc? What are your rifle specs? What powder, bullet are you shooting? Thanks

H50bmg works best in the 33xc not the 37XC. H1000, retumbo , n570 are the good powders for 37xc

I’m seeing great accuracy in mine. 350gr smk at 3078 FPS. 32” barrel
Bullet hole off to the left is poa
F4933E5F-3603-4A0E-8704-E497B55FE73B.jpeg

Reactions: secondofangle2
H50bmg works best in the 33xc not the 37XC. H1000, retumbo , n570 are the good powders for 37xc

I’m seeing great accuracy in mine. 350gr smk at 3078 FPS. 32” barrel
Bullet hole off to the left is poaView attachment 7270888
Great group! I’m waiting to hear back from SSS if their schneider barrels will fit a savage action... not sure it’ll work. Seems like if it would they would have known already. What’s your action, stock/chassis and trigger? Also, what brake/suppressor are you running?

Man that’s super impressive! Do you have a picture of it on your rifle by chance?

That’s awesome! So i think you said that is the factory barrel is that right? I’m waiting to hear back from David Tubb if their Schneider barrels are threaded for savage (shouldered or prefit). It sounds like I’m 12 weeks out on getting a blank and then whatever turn around time I can get a smith on my end which would probably mean a couple months more. I’m just going to shoot my 110 elite precision in 338 LM until I get the setup back. Pretty encouraging... that’s a great group for a factory setup from none other than savage.... which I love! I have a half dozen savages that will shoot sub .25 MOA factory and it drives my buddies nuts... me too when I spend a bunch on a custom rifle that won’t shoot as good as a $2-300 savage lol.

That’s awesome! So i think you said that is the factory barrel is that right? I’m waiting to hear back from David Tubb if their Schneider barrels are threaded for savage (shouldered or prefit). It sounds like I’m 12 weeks out on getting a blank and then whatever turn around time I can get a smith on my end which would probably mean a couple months more. I’m just going to shoot my 110 elite precision in 338 LM until I get the setup back. Pretty encouraging... that’s a great group for a factory setup from none other than savage.... which I love! I have a half dozen savages that will shoot sub .25 MOA factory and it drives my buddies nuts... me too when I spend a bunch on a custom rifle that won’t shoot as good as a $2-300 savage lol.
No sir it’s a McGowen prefit that I chambered my self

Nice. I have a fabrication client of mine in Salt Lake that just purchased a 100k+ large and is planning on starting to spin barrels on the side. I might look into that. Which reamer did you end up using? The .100 or .250 free bore? Did you do the P5 rifling or something else?

.250 fb from ptg
Normal 6 groove McGowen rifling. This was just a test build to decide if I wanted a custom 375 cheytac or 37XC.
Next build will be Stiller tac 338 with 34” k&p barrel 1:7

Reactions: memilanuk