• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help deciding

Bouldar

Private
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2022
Georgia
I’m sorry to ask another opinion question. Which would you recommend?
1. Leupold VX-5 HD
2. Vortex Viper PST gen 2
3. NightForce SHV
4. Swarovski Z5

Why do put like your pick? What do dislike about the others?
Want to stay under about $1500

For a bit of perspective, the PST G2 is about half of your budget if you buy it used here. You can get a much better scope for $1500.

Reactions: Bouldar
For a bit of perspective, the PST G2 is about half of your budget if you buy it used here. You can get a much better scope for $1500.
For some reason I am nervous about buying used. I assume any warranty could not be transferred, correct?
I could just see myself with a messed up scope that I would have to put more money into and regretting not buying new. With Vortex I am sure that isn’t a problem because they fix anything.

depends on the company I believe, but yes, Vortex will basically fix anything. Doesn’t matter if you bought it used out of an alleyway trench coat, they’ll fix it or replace it.

I’ve only ever bought used PSTs, and wouldn’t dream of paying the new surcharge. Can’t speak to the others though.

For a hunting rifle, I presume?

Of your choices, the Swarovski, the Vortex would be last. For 1 thing, it's FFP and I prefer SFP for hunting. (If I hunted out west, I may feel different.) ANother thing, I think the other all have better glass, clarity and light transmission. There are several other good choices out there though. Leica, Zeiss, S&B, all have models within your budget.

There are several other factors to consider, range, terrain, species, caliber, rifle type, etc... For a whole bunch of reasons, when I'm looking for a hunting scope, I start with Swarovski.

And just to finish my thoughts, the SHV and VX-5 would be about a toss up for me.

Oh, and most warranties will transfer to a new owner. I've had warranty work done on Leupolds, NF, and Burris, all bought used.

For a hunting rifle, I presume?

Of your choices, the Swarovski, the Vortex would be last. For 1 thing, it's FFP and I prefer SFP for hunting. (If I hunted out west, I may feel different.) ANother thing, I think the other all have better glass, clarity and light transmission. There are several other good choices out there though. Leica, Zeiss, S&B, all have models within your budget.

There are several other factors to consider, range, terrain, species, caliber, rifle type, etc... For a whole bunch of reasons, when I'm looking for a hunting scope, I start with Swarovski.

And just to finish my thoughts, the SHV and VX-5 would be about a toss up for me.
I have never used a FFP but like that magnification doesn’t change holdover. I understand that the reticle magnifies as well and can be an issue.
It would be on a 300 win mag for hunting. Not really a mountain rifle especially since I am in south ga.

I have never used a FFP but like that magnification doesn’t change holdover. I understand that the reticle magnifies as well and can be an issue.
It would be on a 300 win mag for hunting. Not really a mountain rifle especially since I am in south ga.
My issue with FFP reticles is how small they are at low power for close shots. If was expecting longer shots, I'd probably have a different opinion. In my woods, there's no such thing as a long shot, though.

Clarity and low light performance are my main concerns. If you'll be hunting in the woods, keep those in mind.

My issue with FFP reticles is how small they are at low power for close shots. If was expecting longer shots, I'd probably have a different opinion. In my woods, there's no such thing as a long shot, though.

Clarity and low light performance are my main concerns. If you'll be hunting in the woods, keep those in mind.
I would have to at least look at one 1st. Thanks for the insight