• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need help Enfield Pattern 1856 Cavalry Carbine

Bigchaza

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 7, 2012
AUS NSW
So today i added a new member to the family, id only ever heard of these before never seen them. could i please have some history to this gun does anyone know the maker of it or anything about it.

Attachments

• 20130804_160720.jpg
    20130804_160720.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20130804_160739.jpg
    20130804_160739.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 20130804_160749.jpg
    20130804_160749.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20130804_161015.jpg
    20130804_161015.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 21
  • 20130804_161024.jpg
    20130804_161024.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 26
Better shot of the proof stamp?
there you go its still a bit blurry but i had to compromise between a clear image and a good size. I think and this is only a guess that it was either an irish issue or an indian one but im still very unsure so that why im asking

Attachments

• 20130804_173220.jpg
    20130804_173220.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 20130805_082636.jpg
    20130805_082636.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20130805_082646.jpg
    20130805_082646.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 12
From the pics I can see, it looks like an Indian repro.

I should have said, unmarked lock, looks new = run away. Then add the 1951 Ashoka (three lions) plus it looks like the Khyber Pass ones I saw for sale in Afghanistan.

Last edited:
there you go its still a bit blurry but i had to compromise between a clear image and a good size. I think and this is only a guess that it was either an irish issue or an indian one but im still very unsure so that why im asking

Sorry, I'm going to be no help. Looks crude but I doubt it's a repro. Cool find though.

Yeh ive been thumbing it for two days and working away at the rust spots, just wondering if i could take it to a gunsmith and see if its still workable

It would be a good idea to pull the breechplug and make sure it's threaded properly. Being the tightwad that I am, I'd just make sure the flashhole is clear, give it a good stout load, tie it to a tire and pull a string tied to the trigger;-)

I bought an enfield two band, all correct stamps markings an cartouches on the stock. After i got it home i noticed it did not have the line around the edge of the lockplate that all the english enfields had. More research and it looks like i got one of the afgan repros that are coming back now. Very good, until you look under a microscope and see some very fine details missind or incorrect . Also the originals did not have serial number stamps anywhere. Hope you did not get burned like i did. :(

I bought an enfield two band, all correct stamps markings an cartouches on the stock. After i got it home i noticed it did not have the line around the edge of the lockplate that all the english enfields had. More research and it looks like i got one of the afgan repros that are coming back now. Very good, until you look under a microscope and see some very fine details missind or incorrect . Also the originals did not have serial number stamps anywhere. Hope you did not get burned like i did. :(

after alot of searching it turn out mine is a repro but it is of indian or nepalese manufacture. It was most likely built up for a local leader appointed by the British, hence it does not have any markers apart from the Indian bp symbol. its rare but not historicity important, but frankly i just love the dam thing already!

after alot of searching it turn out mine is a repro but it is of indian or nepalese manufacture. It was most likely built up for a local leader appointed by the British, hence it does not have any markers apart from the Indian bp symbol. its rare but not historicity important, but frankly i just love the dam thing already!

No, the Indian bp symbol, is not what you think. It is a fake as I stated. It is marked with the 1951 Ashoka (three lions), it should not be on a weapon made before 51 (different style was used after independence in 1947). The rifle is known as a "Khyber Pass" rifle. These range from India Pattern Brown Bess to the Russian AK. They can make a great fake out of a rail road track and a truck axle.

Time to get some books and start reading. Buy the rifle not the story!
The Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle by Peter Smithurst, Military History of British India by Bhatia and others like books by the crazy Ozzie Skennerton.

Didn't mean to piss down your back. But that rifle was not "built up for a local leader". That would be like buying a 1910 marked No1 MkIII Lithgow SMLE. An I've seen two (Khybers) in Afghanistan. Thank God Haji doesn't have the same books I do. Lithgow started SMLE production in 1913.

Get your money back!

No, the Indian bp symbol, is not what you think. It is a fake as I stated. It is marked with the 1951 Ashoka (three lions), it should not be on a weapon made before 51 (different style was used after independence in 1947). The rifle is known as a "Khyber Pass" rifle. These range from India Pattern Brown Bess to the Russian AK. They can make a great fake out of a rail road track and a truck axle.

Time to get some books and start reading. Buy the rifle not the story!
The Pattern 1853 Enfield Rifle by Peter Smithurst, Military History of British India by Bhatia and others like books by the crazy Ozzie Skennerton.

Didn't mean to piss down your back. But that rifle was not "built up for a local leader". That would be like buying a 1910 marked No1 MkIII Lithgow SMLE. An I've seen two (Khybers) in Afghanistan. Thank God Haji doesn't have the same books I do. Lithgow started SMLE production in 1913.

Get your money back!

Im happy with what I paid for it for what it is. Anyway three other people have stated that they think it is of Indian manufacture (it could be an ealrier model 1856 was just a guess of mine and im no expert), but as you said it could well be an Afghan one. BTW dont worry about pissing down my back im just genuinly interested in the guns origin and it only cost me 150$USD. Thanks for the help man

my other thoughts on it being an Indian one is the rifle has been fired quiet a bit.