• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help finding a Take Down rifle

Autoguns

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2009
49th state (Alaska)
Some time back I was at the range where a guy had what looked to be a GAP Crusader type rifle that broke down into a case slightly larger then a standard breif case....Any help locating such a rifle would be great...Thanks ...JW

Re: Need help finding a Take Down rifle

AIAW Covert?

To identify this rifle, might I ask where it "broke down?"

In other words

1. Did it breakdown at the receiver-barrel?
2. Did it breakdown rear of the pistol grip?
3. Did it breakdown into upper/lower?
4. Did it actually breakdown or "swing" short?

Perhaps you saw a relatively rare M91 BDR.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RollingThunder51</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To identify this rifle, might I ask where it "broke down?"

In other words

1. Did it breakdown at the receiver-barrel?
2. Did it breakdown rear of the pistol grip?
3. Did it breakdown into upper/lower?
4. Did it actually breakdown or "swing" short?

Perhaps you saw a relatively rare M91 BDR.

</div></div>IIRC correctly the stock broke down just behind the PG the BBL was removable from the receiver as was "of course" the scope. It was unlike any breakdown I'd ever seen before , very compact, very well made rig. The case was made of a cordura type material with securing points for the pieces to attach to.

Man I wish I would have wrote down the info when we were talking...I do remember him stating it was around 12K for the set up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIAW Covert?
</div></div>

Thats VERY close to what I remeber but in a different case and the stock was different as well....Gaining ground here keep em coming. I sure hope to find one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Freeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http:// www.hsprecision.com/shop/rifles/takedown

Here is the HS precision take down. Not sure if its what you saw, but take a look.

Here is the Arms tech as well.

http:// www.armstechltd.com/products.php?id=ttr-700_rifle </div></div>

Freeze you da man!!!!!! The armstech sure looks like it..from what I remember... Thanks a bunch ...If anyone finds or knows of others like the armstech let me know ...wow thats cool, Thanks again Freeze...JW

Get one built, should be fairly easy. I am thinking about making on on a Savage action just for the hell of it. Should be a lot of fun.

Nemesis Arms also has a .308 take down rifle.

No worries man. I have had a few rifles built and I talked myself out of the a takedown the first time. Now that I have my two rigs for matches and stuff, the next one is a fun takedown. I love the little armtech as well. It is inspiring. Like its been said, if your interested in something like that, You can probably get one built for much less then 12K, and there are lots of good builders here on the hide.

I'm going to give them a call tomorrow , the website dont give much info on the specs . Kinda want to here the price from them , if its 12k like the guy said I'll see if one of the others care to give a shot at making one up for me.

I must say the armstech is one very impressive rifle in a very cool package.

Had a very interesting chat with them the AM.... Its almost a done deal, just a couple minor details to iron out, Best of all its in stock and ready to ship...JW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: patches</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Freeze is the WINNER! Give that man his prize. What does he get Auto? </div></div>

Mr Freeze wins the first 20 pieces of spent brass or a happy meal from mickey Ds ...His choice
cool.gif

Just kiddin Freeze...Thanks again....JW

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rotortuner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ya ballpark on the price?

CJG </div></div>

4200+SnI

I'm working out some spec changes so the final price will be a bit more JW

$4,200 is still a lot of cash though. This has got me thinking and itching to build a take down rifle. I know I can build one scoped for under $1k, actually way under that if I really wanted to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">$4,200 is still a lot of cash though. This has got me thinking and itching to build a take down rifle. I know I can build one scoped for under $1k, actually way under that if I really wanted to. </div></div>

Sounds interesting Build one , Post pics once you getter done...JW

No worries Autoguns, didn't do it for the prize...hehe. Hope you enjoy it. As long as we get pics of the kit, groups and shooting, thats all I care about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Freeze</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No worries Autoguns, didn't do it for the prize...hehe. Hope you enjoy it. As long as we get pics of the kit, groups and shooting, thats all I care about. </div></div>

Thanks Bro....JW

Will do, I just ordered my barrel blank, QR rings/bases, and parts to make the take down. Mine is going to be a 280 remington.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Will do, I just ordered my barrel blank, QR rings/bases, and parts to make the take down. Mine is going to be a 280 remington. </div></div>

Very cool , Look forward to seeing it. Remember, Its gotta be under 1K with all new parts.
smile.gif

depending on the donor rifle it will be under $500, and right at $600 with the bushnell 3200 10x scope I will be using.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">depending on the donor rifle it will be under $500, and right at $600 with the bushnell 3200 10x scope I will be using. </div></div>

Will it shot 1/2moa @ 100yrds and fit into a computer case?

if it shoots like all my other guns that I built it will and I plan on getting a hard case computer case to fit everything in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if it shoots like all my other guns that I built it will and I plan on getting a hard case computer case to fit everything in. </div></div>

Be interested in seeing it, Please be sure to post up the pics of your build...JW

HS Precision makes a few takedown models. mostly hunting rifles though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HS Precision makes a few takedown models. mostly hunting rifles though. </div></div>

I seen the HS line , although nice it really not what I was looking for. I also checked several others but no one makes a package that meet the specs of armstech.

You guys have me going now. I was looking for a take-down to use packing in the mountains a few years ago. I am really looking forward to seeing pictures.

sinarms,
It would be interesting to see and hear about the process of your build along with the final pictures.

Autoguns,
So did you order the works? (suppressor, brief case, etc.) Will they let you choose a scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I make a take-down that uses a modified A series McMillan stock, not a Choate. I build them on my actions as well as Remington 700. </div></div>

Do you have a website where I can look at your rifles?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skunkworks</div><div class="ubbcode-body">www.undergroundsw.com but I don't picture the take down rifle. The SKX-TD fits in a briefcase when it's broken down and requires no tools to put it together. </div></div>

PM sent for more info....JW

MIke , That website of yours has some very nice items on it, Thanks for sharing it. Per our PM conversation , I look forward to doing bizz with you. Thanks ..JW

I'll be placing more info on the website in the near future. I'm working on a different stock design as the initial build was accomplished with a McMillan A2. Feel free to give me a call or shoot me an e-mail and I can give you a few more details....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinarms</div><div class="ubbcode-body">here is a start to mine

DSCN0294.jpg
</div></div>

Holy recoil lug Batman!
shocked.gif

thats part of the take down, to ensure nice straight repetitive assembly.