• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Need help finding Colorado Hunt/fish Land

Fig

Tenor in the howler choir
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2018
The Most Dangerous City in the USA
The wife has decided we need a mountain retreat, which means, “This is happening”. We’ve been looking at land on Zillow.
We’re thinking, but not wed to, flying into Denver to get there, so we’re looking at Park, Lake, Eagle, and Grand counties. Summit is a no go. For a 1/2 acre in Summit we can get 40 in the surrounding counties.
Here is the wish list (not going to call it “criterion”, because it’s probably not all possible).

Mature trees
Elevation with a flat spot for a cabin
Water (a wet creek with trout would be ultimate but that may be beyond the price range)
Good hunting
Adjacent to BLM or public forest
Near good fishing
No hoa or restrictions
Within driving distance from skiing (not important if access is only seasonal)
Not an insane distance off the hard road

We’re at $200k for as much as we can get with the mostest stuff we want. I’d do 5 acres if it was adjacent to 1000 public that was hard to get to...
Any help would be appreciated from advice about areas, to a referral to a good broker who knows steep dirt, to where I want to be for best elk or best fishing, really anything. We’re just researching now. We’ll probably go out that way this summer to scout.

We were looking at condos in Dillon/Silverthorn/Frisco. When she said she would rather by land and build a cabin it took all my powers to stay straight faced and not start dancing.

Everyday I drive pass billboards advertising land in Wyoming...yes it is desolate, the winters are harsh and it is windy 11 months out of the year, but you can get 40 acres for like $70k. Just a thought. A few months ago I was looking at a property near Evergreen in CO that was adjacent to a national forest, it was $250k but also had a property border dispute with another parcel so we held off. If your budget is 200k a cabin might be out of the question for now. There is a company here called Colorado Modular Homes that caters to people interested in doing exactly what you are planning, they will help find a site, clear all your permits for bringing service and water to your site as well as construct a nice looking modular home for you. After everything is said and done you will only have to pay one company for everything involved instead of writing checks to six different outfits for your cabin in the woods. Good luck finding your new property and invite me to go hunting or fishing when you make it out here.

200K won't by much here in Eagle County, there are some 40ac plots north of Wolcott they start at 160K if they have water, no way to know until you drill, and they do have HOA. Check around Kremling, south of Steamboat, or maybe Wyoming, Idaho, Montana

One problem is Eagle and Summit counties are resort areas so our land taxes are crazy high(as well as healthcare, groceries, gas, electric, water). Eagle County has one of the highest cost of living in the nation. Also here in Eagle county, you would have to use an approved contractor to build and they are all high as giraffe vagina. If we could use contractors out of Denver a regular person might actually be able to afford to build a home here. On the public land hunting thing, I've about quit archery hunting because it has become so popular, and I don't even want to mention gun season. So good luck with that also.

How close do you want to be to skiing? Up around Granby in Grand county there is some nice land and a lot of national forest. I have a buddy I can talk to that has a ranch up there if he knows of anything like you are looking for.
Hunting in CO is tough unless you love long hikes in rough country off trail and its still pretty tough.
Park county is good, longer to skiing and the closest is Breckenridge.

Good evening,
Take a look at Forbes Park. Colorado Mountain Dream Land, which is owned by Mike Schrotenboer. He is a great guy to deal with and has sold me a few parcels in the Park. Beautiful country in a gated development with 13,000 acres of hunting/fishing land right next to the park.
Mike is also a custom home builder who lives in a handcrafted log home of his own design. I cant speak highly enough of his integrity or work ethic. The guy is one of a dying bread. He just spent the last two years building a place for a neuro surgeon which turned out beautiful.
Mike and I went fishing not far from the park and he put us on trout in the 8-12 pound range.
The park is also home to brook trout, cutthroats, rainbows & Golden trout. You really cant beat it for the price.

If you need any info check out his website (http://www.coloradomountaindreamland.com) or shoot me a message and i can give you his cell number.
Have a great night,
Jon

Reactions: aconnolly84
How close do you want to be to skiing? Up around Granby in Grand county there is some nice land and a lot of national forest. I have a buddy I can talk to that has a ranch up there if he knows of anything like you are looking for.
Hunting in CO is tough unless you love long hikes in rough country off trail and its still pretty tough.
Park county is good, longer to skiing and the closest is Breckenridge.
We’ve been looking in Park, but I’m fine with further from skiing. If I can get trees and water I’ll drive further. Ask your buddy to keep his eyes peeled for me. Thanks!

Good evening,
Take a look at Forbes Park. Colorado Mountain Dream Land, which is owned by Mike Schrotenboer. He is a great guy to deal with and has sold me a few parcels in the Park. Beautiful country in a gated development with 13,000 acres of hunting/fishing land right next to the park.
Mike is also a custom home builder who lives in a handcrafted log home of his own design. I cant speak highly enough of his integrity or work ethic. The guy is one of a dying bread. He just spent the last two years building a place for a neuro surgeon which turned out beautiful.
Mike and I went fishing not far from the park and he put us on trout in the 8-12 pound range.
The park is also home to brook trout, cutthroats, rainbows & Golden trout. You really cant beat it for the price.

If you need any info check out his website (http://www.coloradomountaindreamland.com) or shoot me a message and i can give you his cell number.
Have a great night,
Jon
I sent it to the wife. Thanks!

on colorado's hunting website they give hunting success by GMU and season/week and rifle/bow/etc, for elk, deer, etc. could at least point you in the right direction.

Can't help you on the land purchase, but I would make sure you are getting something in a unit you can actually hunt in. Some elk hunt units, 1, 2, 61, 76, etc, are once in a lifetime hunt zones. Unit 2 archery is only 10 tags given for the season. Took an average of 23 points if I remember correctly last year to draw that tag. One guy with 27 was the first to pull the tag.. what that means for folks that don't know the system, is that they waited that many years to get the tag. If you don't back to an OTC unit or one that you could at least draw every other year, you won't be doing any hunting on your property or bordering land. That would be my biggest concern in CO looking for land to hunt the nearby areas.

Best of luck on the search. And don't forget to check the CO DOW website for identifying hunting units and looking through previous draw results.