• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Need Help Finding Winter Hunting Clothing

Jig Stick

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Im going on my first ever deer hunt at the end of the month in north western PA. Temps are already in the 30-40s during the day, and I expect it to be getting even colder. I hunt spring and fall turkey and have appropriate clothing for that, but I am kind of at a loss when it comes to buying the thicker, more insulated stuff needed for cold weather hunting.

Can anybody put me to some quality insulated jackets/parkas and pants/overalls? I think I want an insulated jacket with a removable liner so I can peel off a layer if I get too hot.

I was never too impressed with Cabelas clothing. I think Gander Mountain makes nicer stuff. But other than these two vendors I do not know what else is available. Any advice?

Re: Need Help Finding Winter Hunting Clothing

Browning's XPO stuff is pretty good. I think the important part is layering. Most of the Cabela's stuff is pretty crappy but the MT050 gear is awesome but there's a premium for that, expect $350 for a parka and $250 for the pants. I'd say wear 2 layers underneath your spring gear, ie: thermal, sweater.

anybody have experience with the Gander Mountain stuff?

Filson, Pendleton, Woolrich, surplus polypro cold weather long underwear, surplus Swiss military wool cold weather 6 pocket pants. Everything is available on ebay probably cheaper than you can get it through one of the over priced stores like Cabelas or Gander Mountain.

Gander Mtn is owned by Cabelas, try Bass Pro Shops or Sportsmans Wharehouse

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wool and in layers </div></div>
+1

will you be hunting from a tree, blind or free style......or from the pick-up driver side......?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wool and in layers</div></div>
+2

Take a foam sleeping pad to sit on and place under your feet. It quiets things down and adds a lot of insulation under contact areas of your body with cold ground or a stand. More insulation than you will ever get with clothing.

Sitting with knees bent will chill the feet quickly so try not to.

Losing the laces on your boots as you sit will help blood flow.

Removing boots and sliding on camp booties will increase feet warmth substantially.

Place chemical heat packs inside the pockets of your jacket, as long as you keep them dry they will produce heat, sliding hands inside the pocket will keep or take the chill off. They are cheap and light so take a bunch.

Pull your arms inside your jacket around your chest to keep them warmer.

Wear a thicker hat than you think you might need.

Snack on simply sugars and fats.

Take baby aspirin and garlic pills a couple days before hunting to thin the blood and increase circulation.

Hydrate a week before hunting, its too late the day of or even the day before to hydrate enough. But hydrate while hunting to maintain.

Several companies now make sleeping bags with open end at the foot and sleeves so you can use all snugged up yet walk around and use you arms and hands.

Just about all clothing no matter the name brand is sewn in the same sweat shops overseas. Cabelas, Gander and even Marmot, etc maybe sewn by the same person. Just about all raw materials for Cabelas, Gander, etc for clothing come from the same manufacture. In the 1990s this was a huge uproar in the outdoor market but has since passed. I try to buy and use only clothing made here in the states, the exception is ID in Canada.

Happy hunting