• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need help, first time out with new rifle

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
I bought a barreled and trued remmy off here and Im taking it to the range this weekend. the previous owner didn't know much about it and either do I.

opinions for precautions take this rifle out? its on a '78 receiver and has a claimed 400-500 rounds through it.

im thinking a factory ammo but does anyone recommend a smith looking at it first? my ffl who is a builder gave it a once over and didnt see any issues

Re: need help, first time out with new rifle

Is this your first bolt gun? Clean it well and go shoot it! As long as the gun seems to function and the barrel is clean and clear, you should be ok...

I would say, have someone drop a go/no go gauge.

Clarify...
The supposed 400-500 rounds- after the rebarrel?

Knowing whether the rifle was "put away" in safe firing condition would be paramount.

I'm confused- the FFL you mention, I'm assuming he did the transfer? Is a "builder" of what? As in houses?

If he were a "builder" of firearms, he'd be a smith...hence my confusion. Just trying to establish the level of expertise of the guy that gave it the once over...

78 is not really all that old. my 40x .22lr was older than that. I would not be scared to shoot a rifle my grandfather gave me and that would be way older. I say as long at it was taken care of then go shoot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerrorInTheShadows</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Better safe then sorry...

</div></div>

+1 It would not take too long for a qualified smith to give it a once over, good luck and safe shooting!

Where are you going shooting this weekend? I live just South of Houston and will be trying out my new scope on my recently purchased FN SPR. I am a newb to the long range shooting scene. I am looking for a range that goes out to 500 yds as I get more time at the local 100 yd range I will want a longer range.

I usually let a friend use it first. Just joking!
grin.gif
After buying a used rifle i will take it apart and inspect it. Then i drop my go guages in. Then i go in the back yard and put a few rounds in the dirt so that i can inspect the brass for any signs of potential problems. I always hold it away from me too and wear safety glasses.

If you are at all concerned have a gunsmith drop a set of headspace gauges in it. Takes about 30 seconds. If you know one the charge is minimal or sometimes for free.

Clean, clean, clean. You should be fine to shoot it.

As long as the barrel isn't plugged up, which you would eliminate by cleaning it, and you shoot factory ammo you should be fine. I was given two old remy 700's by my grandfather. He took care of them and so do I. They shoot great.