• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help from 300 whisper shooters

yuri

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2005
Dallas, TX
Please share your ideas: ar-15, bolt action, and everything else. I am looking to get it to shoot 240 gr smk subsonic and suppressed. What works and what doesn't?
Thank you,
Yuri

Re: Need help from 300 whisper shooters

Go to 300whisper.com, and you will find all the info you need..

ive got a model 1 barrel on a ar upper, ars can be funny sometimes, have a 3 position gasblock on it with high low and off to shoot subs, supersonics and singleshot, can be scary quiet and seems to hit pretty hard, my next one is going to be a 12 inch sbr.but with a bolt gun you can load longer heavier rounds a savage seems to be the easiest to put together, i mean you can buy a premade barrel and put it together yourself. really depends on your preferences.

Thanks to all who replied. While there is info on 300 whisper board, but i am afraid it may be a little overenthusiastic.
It is very attractive to have ar15 in 300 whisper for obvious reasons. Fast freddy have you tried 220 or 240 gr smk? Any problems feeding them through ar15 mags?
I am having doubts about having bolt-action rifle in 300 whisper. Should I go with subsonic 308 or 300 whisper. Accuracy and quietness of 300 whisper over 308 will help me make up my mind. Is 300 whisper quieter and more accurate than 308? I'd rather go with subsonic 308, unless 300 whisper have significant advantages.
Any experience shared here is much appreciated.

I have a custom 16.5" 1x8 twist bolt gun built in 300 whisper..Found handloads with 240's pretty finicky..was fortunate to get 500 rds of factory Ruag 220 gr whisper..it is scarey quiet. But hard to shoot, I find..you really have to be on your "A" game with cheek preasure, how you grip the pistol grip.and especially follow thru...they will shoot like crazy..and again..real quiet. I find the bullet hitting the butts makes more noise than the rifle firing..anyhow..I also shoot suppressed 308..I think the 308 is more versatile..shooting factory Lapua 220 subs..I have an 8 min correction at 100m from my 168gr full house zero..with Ruag factory, its 13 min. So..they all shoot like mortars...my thoughts are for the few rounds shot with the 300 whisper, the novelty soon wears off because of range linitations..with the 308, you are more versatile, just my thoughts

Subsonic .308 is much more versitile IMO. I built a .300 whisper bolt gun, and it was ok. I made all my 300 whisper brass out of .223 brass. Shooting subsonics through a .308 may be slightly louder, but you have much more versatility. I have a friend who has a .300 whisper bolt gun as well, but has a thermal scope on it. It has a high cool factor, but 240 gr SMK's don't put things down with much authority. If you are looking for something to kill critters and be quiet, I'd go with a .338 specter or .44 mag loaded with 300 gr bullets subsonic.