• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes need help from the experts!!

sgj2025

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2009
west,ky
Mounting a S&B 5-25x56 on an pof ar10 flat rail using badger 1.49 rings.I know this is not the ideal scope for this platform but the range I go to only has a 400 yd limit.Anyway the question I have is the S&B comes set for a 45moa base, do I need to raise the turret 11.7 mils to get to mech. zero then boresight the rifle. If my math is correct I will have around 10 or 12 mils of up elevation to play with, I know its not alot but should get me to 400yds. Am I on right track or am I way off base.

Re: need help from the experts!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sgj2025</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mounting a S&B 5-25x56 on an pof ar10 flat rail using badger 1.49 rings.I know this is not the ideal scope for this platform but the range I go to only has a 400 yd limit.Anyway the question I have is the S&B comes set for a 45moa base, do I need to raise the turret 11.7 mils to get to mech. zero then boresight the rifle. If my math is correct I will have around 10 or 12 mils of up elevation to play with, I know its not alot but should get me to 400yds. Am I on right track or am I way off base. </div></div>

sgj2025,

I have no idea if this combo will work, but I have to ask a question: a 5-25x56mm S&B to shoot to a max of 400 yds on an AR10? Surely you jest?

There are some folks here that proudly call themselves magnification whores. You sir, are a magnification nymphomaniac. No insult intended or implied. This is the USA, you can put what you whatever you want on your rifle; your choice, your rifle. But I just had to ask.

Thanks and best of luck,

Bob

No offense taken. Hopefully one day this scope will set on a 338 and the pof will have something more appropriate. Good glass is expensive and I cant get everything at once. This hobby is like having a high mainteance wife and a super model mistress... Fun as all get out, but expensive as hell!!!

sgj2025,

Yup, I hear you. This hobby can get expensive. And sometimes I think a floozy is cheaper to keep, than a good tactical rifle. Fine glass you have there.

Bob

Scope came 1/2 mill from bottoming out. Dialed scope up 12.5 mils mounted and leveled recticle. Weather was crappy yesterday but went to the range anyway. Boresighted at 100yds had to dial back down 2.5 mils. First shot was on paper and three more shots to fine tune. Final setting was 2 mil down and .3 mil to the right. Shot 3 five round groups at 100yds, the worst being the first at 1.4" the best the second at .75" and the third a shade over 1". Reset my turret caps and ran an eight shot box test 2,4,6 mils up 3mils to right back down and back over to zero, scope was dead nuts. Maybe catch a day off when its not raining and do more extensive tracking test.I am shooting a POF 308 20" ammo is hornady 168 amax, scope is S&B 5-25x56.So far, love the POF mine seems to be a good shooter. It however getting the gouge in the receiver, have been waiting for their roller cam but it is not available yet. I have not been shooting it alot but have decided to shoot the damn thing if the gouge gets to bad i will send it back it does have a three year warranty.I am new to this hobby and this was my first scope mount (ever).I read old post until my eyes were bloodshot (alot of good info here guys) bought a P3 gunvise and seekonk wrenches and mounting was a snap.Learned from my bowhunting hobby it is best to learn how to set your own equipment up because nobody will take the extra time with it like you will. Besides, it is half the fun!

Still have a shitpot to learn,

steve

Did the scope come .5 mils from bottoming out or was the zero stop set?