• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help getting started please, new to reloading.

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
I have always bought ammo in bulk already loaded. I have finally decided to start a new path here and get in to reloading. I have read a lot of the threads in this section and looked at a lot of the reloading rooms in the picture thread.

The only 2 rounds I plan to reload for are 233 and 308. I purchased the RCBS competition die set for the 308 and purchased a RCBS Charge Master. I know there is a very long list of things that I need. But not sure which brands would do me well and what to stay away from. Can y'all post some of the better equipment that would last?

Thanks, Wesley

Maybe you should first define to what extent is your goal for precision. The more precision you want the more $$$$ it'll cost. If a high level of precision isn't important, then high end equipment isn't necessary. So . . . ???:unsure:

Maybe you should first define to what extent is your goal for precision. The more precision you want the more $$$$ it'll cost. If a high level of precision isn't important, then high end equipment isn't necessary. So . . . ???:unsure:

I would like the precision to be equal to or greater than what I get with 175 GMM. I am not to concerned on price, but I am more concerned on being precise.

So is the only things you currently own that are for reloading are the Dies and Chargemaster?

Might help if you told us everything you have, or what you still need?

If you're just looking for general reloading brands, theres a long list...and its not necessarily what brand to stay away from as much as it may be what product isn't very useful...or what product will help only if [X].. or what product makes reloading easier and costs extra money, etc...

Very good loads can be made without a lot of expensive equipment, but there are very precise and nice equipment available now to make that much easier and with greater certainty. That being said, JUST because you have that doesn't mean you'll make good loads.

Maybe specify a little more on what exactly you would like input on...

So is the only things you currently own that are for reloading are the Dies and Chargemaster?

Might help if you told us everything you have, or what you still need?

If you're just looking for general reloading brands, theres a long list...and its not necessarily what brand to stay away from as much as it may be what product isn't very useful...or what product will help only if [X].. or what product makes reloading easier and costs extra money, etc...

Very good loads can be made without a lot of expensive equipment, but there are very precise and nice equipment available now to make that much easier and with greater certainty. That being said, JUST because you have that doesn't mean you'll make good loads.

Maybe specify a little more on what exactly you would like input on...

The only 3 items that I currently have right now are my competition dies, RCBS charge master, and a Wilson case trimmer. I am also looking to get a Lyman Cyclone tumbler this weekend. I already have a sonic cleaner that I use for cleaning gun parts and other tooling.

List of already have.
RCBS competition dies 308
RCBS comp dies 223
Wilson Case Trimmer
RCBS Charge Master
Lyman cyclone tumbler
Kendal 1100 watt, 27 liter ultrasonic cleaner

Still need.
Very very good press
case prep machine
measuring tools(OAL and Ogive, ect)
primer tool
bullet puller
whatever else I may need that I am missing here

IMO, these are the critical tools you need but don’t have yet.
Shell holders
Calipers
Hornady Comparator kits for CBTO and Case length (for measuring set back on resizing)
Hand priming tool. I’ve been happy with the RCBS.
Case mouth chamfer/Deburr tool

I haven’t used the chargemaster. I put a lot of care into consistent charges using a beam scale and a trickler. Stick powders don’t meter consistently enough for me out of a Hornady powder measure. I get close with the powder measure, put the tray of powder on the beam scale and trickle up to the charge I need.

Nice to have tools:
primer pocket scraper
flash hole deburring tool
neck brush
bullet puller (I use the hammer shaped kind) if you’re careful to work down to your OAL when bullet seating, you won’t need this.

Reactions: wjwill
Hard to beat a rock chucker for a press in price and reliability. I recently switched from my rock chucker to a forster coax, pretty spendy but the forster is outstanding. I love the simplicity of switching out dies.

Like mentioned above a good quality beam scale is a great piece to have. It will make your loads way more consistent than the chargmaster alone. I use my chargemaster to dispense a load .2 grs under target weight then trickle up to target charge weight on a rcbs 10-10 beam scale. It's a slower process but I've had excellent results.

A hand priming tool for sure

Get a decent dial caliper, I could never trust the digital calipers.

The Hornady or Sinclair bullet comparators are a good tool to have also. measure your OAL off the ogive rather than the tip which isn't a consistent place to measure from.

There are so many handy tools out there and I find more all the time. All depends on how crazy you want to get. If you get into hand loading and enjoy it you'll go down the rabbit hole I guarantee it

To touch on what Ben said, You'll eventually need a bullet puller so pick one up. Some brass has no burr from the flash hole, you may or may not need. My Federal cases have no burr. I use a .080 drill bit in a pin vise to run through myflash holes. I also found out yesterday that the chisel on a swiss army knife works excellent for cleaning primer pockets. A primer pocket uniformer is nice.

I trickle all my loads onto a beam scale. Takes some extra time but I know they are right.

I would like the precision to be equal to or greater than what I get with 175 GMM. I am not to concerned on price, but I am more concerned on being precise.

Using an older RockChucker press and a 2 die set of RCBS dies I can load straighter ammo than Federal Gold Metal, Black Hills Match and LC National Match. And mine is more accurate. Good technique and attention to detail will get good ammo.

I have migrated to using Redding Competition seating dies for my Varmint and Precision rifles. I use Wilson dies and an Arbor press for my Benchrest rifle.

Reactions: wjwill and mcm308
Still need.
Very very good press
case prep machine
measuring tools(OAL and Ogive, ect)
primer tool
bullet puller
whatever else I may need that I am missing here

If you have a chargemaster youre good. No sense in getting multiple scales for now. Learn how to use it and calibrate it every time. I leave mine on all the time and just calibrate before I use so I don't have to wait for it to warm up.

Presses that would work for you:

Rockchucker (or something similar)
Redding T7
Forster Coax
DIllon 550
...and there's more on the list.

Case prep machine:
Any of them... I like the Lyman Express but the Frankford arsenal looks nice too.
For primer pockets, I like my K&M uniformer.

Measuring tools:
For your own sake...PLEASE get a good set of calipers from the start. Starrett, Mitutoyo, Brown and Sharpe, etc..
Hornady Bullet Comparator and OAL gauge... I'm sure theres a few nicer onces, but this one works for me.

I'd recommend Class Z pin gages (no-go) to help make sure your neck tension is where you want it.

Primer Tool:
I have the RCBS one, it works. Theres better ones. Frankford arsenal, 21st Century Shooting, K&M, etc..

Other Stuff:
-I'd get the drill attachment for your Wilson trimmer... makes it a lot faster
-Loading blocks
-case lube -- I make my own. 99% alcohol and pure lanolin
-a good loading manual.. Personally I love my Lyman 49th Edition, but the 50th edition is out now too
-Ammo boxes... Don't just dump "precision" loads into an ammo can lol
-Canned air for cleaning shit out
-May want to look into Sinclair or 21st Century mandrel set ups.. for setting neck tension where you want it.

Thats all I can think of right now

Thank y'all so much for the information. I am about to start ordering. Going to check the forums and support hides members first, then order what I can't find here.

Wes

One of the best $’s I’ve spent in reloading was for a powered case prep machine. Many good ones, I have the rcbs brass boss. Save time and wrist injury.

Frankford arsenal prep station. Good set of full size and neck dies. Press of your choice. Good measuring tools.