• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help ID-ing SR25 bolt catch

Beasler1

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 12, 2020
    Fellas - I just picked up an early SR25 lower in mint condition. It's pre-94, and I'm in a ban state .... so this was a good find.

However .... it didn't come with a bolt catch and I don't recognize the design. I need help identifying what to look for. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_8653.JPG

Thanks, John. I traded emails with them today and provided lots of photos. They seem to be struggling to ID it as well. Hopefully they come back with something after tracing the serial number. Here are a couple other photos:
    IMG_8665 copy.jpg

IMG_8664.JPG

IMG_8658.JPG

IMG_8660.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8658.JPG
      IMG_8658.JPG
      382.9 KB · Views: 19
    That certainly is unusual. I suspect you may have to fabricate one. Fulton FAR10 uses a unusual bolt catch retention design. It will not be compatible, but might help to visualize the intent.
    Here's a image gallery of a similar serial # SR-25 (not mine): SR-25 pics
    ETA: Pics in link show a conventional roll pin type bolt catch.

Last edited:
    Thanks, John. I traded emails with them today and provided lots of photos. They seem to be struggling to ID it as well. Hopefully they come back with something after tracing the serial number. Here are a couple other photos:View attachment 8118382
    View attachment 8118383
    View attachment 8118387
    View attachment 8118388

While I'm sure you've searched your brains out, I did some digging...to see if I could help. From what I've read, the SR-25 uses an M-16 bolt catch.

Did come across this item that may / may not work for you:

https://www.operationparts.com/knights-armament-sr-25-bolt-catch/

Thanks, buddy. Yep ... that's a standard bolt catch design. If you look at the channel milled into this lower, you will see that it won't work. The channel is milled where the bolt catch pin would normally go .... weird.

Reactions: msgriff and USK308
    Thanks, buddy. Yep ... that's a standard bolt catch design. If you look at the channel milled into this lower, you will see that it won't work. The channel is milled where the bolt catch pin would normally go .... weird.
    well damn. 4th and 65...yep, I missed WIDE RIGHT (lmao).

If I happen to come across any more info that might actually help, I'll reply again.

There are a few posts in here about early SR25s that have the same bolt catch design as yours.

You could try messaging some of the folks in that thread to see if they own those rifles and can give you any better pictures or specs on the bolt catch. If KAC doesn't have the parts any more you will likely have to fabricate.

Reactions: msgriff
    Nice!!! Thank you Kydron. That's great intel, and a good lead on more info. Much appreciated.

It appears this is a very early production SR25 lower .....

Hopefully the fellas at KAC get back to me also with some guidance.

Reactions: kydron
    I’ve got the exact same lower (right down to the 205*** serial number). I picked it up a few years ago and finally decided to build it, but like you, I can’t seem to find a bolt catch. Please let me know what you hear from KAC. At this point, it’s the only thing holding up my build. Thanks in advance and good luck. I’ll also keep digging and let you know if I find anything.

KAC said these really early SR25 lowers had a bunch of proprietary parts, and that several modern standard components, possibly including trigger components, could potentially require fitting in order to work. They said they have some of the early parts still laying around, and at least one of the guys from that early era is still at KAC.

They offered to receive my lower and evaluate/refit for me. I will be responsible for parts and shop time. So .... my lower is back at the Mother Ship awaiting refitting. When I get it back, I will update.

Reactions: bdcne