• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help identifying a bench vise

krink85

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 8, 2008
Sierra Vista AZ
I snagged a bench vise a few years ago and really never used it like I thought I would. It has never had a tag on it but it does have a model number I think. It says 8" jaw Made in USA and the number 1780. I beleive it is a Wilton but all the vises by them except a select few are blue. This one is red. I did find the number on the handle 900040 12 98. Im looking to sell this on craigslist and want to put a fair price on it. Can the massive ammount of knowledge on the hide help?

052.jpg

051.jpg

Re: Need help identifying a bench vise

That's a special anniversary edition. $200 easy in worse condition. You should ask for $350. These were originally made exclusively for the blacksmiths that forged horseshoes for the Budweiser Clydesdale wagons. Only 15 were ever produced.

I wish I had some free dough! That would look killer on my work bench when I get it made(hopefully by next winter or summer). A red vice would be the CHIT MANG! I guess I'll end up hunting one down in months to come if I ever get a good amount of garage cash stashed

CKA really realy wish you are correct but something is telling me that you are F-ing with me. On that one Im gonna go drink a Budweiser and use the vise as a coaster.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: krink85</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CKA really realy wish you are correct but something is telling me that you are F-ing with me. On that one Im gonna go drink a Budweiser and use the vise as a coaster. </div></div>

Put something between your beer and your coaster unless you want unsightly rust on your heirloom.

Imagine, made in the U.S.A!

That's a nice one, don't sell it you may need it later.

I too would say that a good vice is definitely an investment, but I'm afraid the shipping would be somewhat limiting.

Them, or Record vices, are both good ones.

I have one just like that, got it from my gramps when he died.

Mine is probably from about 1945 or so....knowing my gramps had it forever..

Or maybe I got my dad's and he took gramps - I forget, so either 1940's or 1960's...