• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help identifying my rifle...

I Am Hero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2011
Grand Rapids, MI
So I recently just purchased this rifle from a guy locally here in Michigan. Here are the details on the build:

- R700 early 90's "E" series receiver, blueprinted
- HS Precision 24" heavy fluted barrel, 1" at muzzle. Target crown.
- HS Precision first gen PST026 stock (as seen on their HTR rifles)
- BDL bottom metal
- HS Precision/aftermarket brake?
- Adjustable grip stand
- Canjar set trigger (never owned one of these but my word are they awesome!!)
- Larue SPR-E mount (took off from my M1A when I sold it)
- SWFA 12x42mm (will be replaced with a vortex viper PST next week)

I am now the 4th owner of this rifle (first moved to Texas, second and third are in MI but have no contact with the original anymore). There is no inscribing anywhere on the rifle that indicates that it was built by HS Precision (only alignment marks on the lug, barrel, and receiver). The original owner said it was an HS Precision built rifle, so now I am wondering if any of you own a HS Precision built rifle and if they do or do not mark it anywhere when they build it. It also looks a LOT like their HTR rifle they sell.

The gun is an absolute tack driver with 168s and 190s. I am going to try some 208 a-maxs as soon as they arrive.

Some quick pictures I snapped in my trunk at work are below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It looks like the 1st gen HTR that was built of the M700 before they started building off the 2000 action. The others I have seen Had 'HS" scrolled on the barrel. If this was a customer supplied gun that was sent to HS for the barrel and accurizing they may not have marked it.

Thanks for the help so far, I don't see any indication on the barrel that it was HS so I was wondering if the story got changed around a little bit and it was a customer supplied rifle. I called Remington on the serial # and they said it was an early Police series action.

I owned a 25'06Ackley with a single set Canjar trigger that was stolen along with every gun I owned. I did recover one but not that one. Anyway, a Canjar single set is a fine trigger, I totally loved it. You will too! BB

That does not appear to be an HTR.

(I still have an older LE HTR).

On the HTR, the trigger was an old style Remington tuned by HSP.

The bolt was also re-worked by HSP, (but the bolt shroud may have the J lock).

Older HTRs had the 1st gen DBM (3 round and 10 round magazines).

Later HTRs have the 2nd gen DBM (4 round -- some can actually hold 5, and 10 round magazines).

Older HTRs were built on the Rem700 action, then HSP began using their own marked action.

HTRs have fluted barrels that are marked as HS Precision, .308Win.

Most HTR barrels I've seen were threaded for an HSP muzzle brake, or had a thread protector, but I've also seen some that were not threaded (replacement barrels from HSP, and civilian HTRs).

I've had three HSP barrels for HTRs, one fluted and threaded with the HSP muzzle brake, one fluted and threaded for the Surefire suppressor adapter, and a replacement barrel that was fluted but not threaded....all were marked as HS Precision, .308Win.

Hope this helps......am sure there are others that can relate their experience with the HTR since several agencies used them (and some still do).

Thank you for the reply Diablo, the more I look into it the more it appears it was just a customer supplied rifle that HSP reworked for them. It's definitely quality craftsmanship, but I found it odd that there is no indications on the barrel, not even the chamber identification (300 win). Started to drift from the HTR idea since I see they are built different with slightly different specs. Regardless, it is a shooter for sure.

Any idea on what the value of that stock is? I have a nice Mirage ULR chassis that I may consider dropping this into in which case I would sell this stock that is on it.

I see MIdway has the latest PST026 for $669 and labeled as "special order". If anyone is interested in this stock before I post it in the options and accessories section, please let me know via PM.

Really do not know. Once in awhile they are posted for sale here, but don't recall what asking prices were for those stocks--try using the search function here for PST026.

Have you taken the action out of the stock and looked to see if the HSP markings are on the barrel, hidden by the stock?

If the barrel has "set back", (re-chambered, etc.), maybe tightening the barrel put the HSP marking beneath where you couldn't see it.

Last edited: