• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help identifying this bubbafied 1903

pdogsbeware

Private
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2011
Colorado/Minnesota
Hey guys! I'm hoping some of you can help me out. I picked this one up 20 some odd years ago from a pawn shop for 75 bucks. I know it's almost sacrilegious to have these un-original, so let me say this is how I bought it! ha I didn't do this to the rifle.

What I would like help on is helping me identify what the heck it is haha As you can see there's quite a bit of frankenstein-ed parts on here, I'm just curious what's original and whats not. The serial number is from Springfield Armory and is low 120,000s, which puts it manufactured in 1905. Under Springfield it says Model 1903. That's the extent of my knowledge on the rifle. I did notice that the front sight is different and says 'Lyman' on the side. Has this been rebarreled or somehow just the ramp added on?

Yes yes, I know you're not supposed to shoot the low numbered ones. But the facts are that 68 rifles out of 800,000 had failures...and this thing has been shooting since 1905. If it hasn't happened yet I'm comfortable taking the chance. I also wear safety glasses whenever I fire it haha. And damn does it shoot. When I bought it it had the Lyman sight on it but had scope mount holes drilled...but cock-eyed. I bought a B-square mount and it worked great...albeit hard to get a good cheek weld cause it was mounted so high. But I got consistent groups between 1.1 and 1.45in, and that was with non-match remington Core-lockt ammo! I was impressed. But then the mount failed so it was back to the Lyman.

Thanks ahead of time for the help!

Re: Need help identifying this bubbafied 1903

Can you get a decent pic of the front receiver ring? SN# would be helpful too to see if it is below the 300k mark.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can you get a decent pic of the front receiver ring? SN# would be helpful too to see if it is below the 300k mark. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The serial number is from Springfield Armory and is low 120,000s, which puts it manufactured in 1905. Under Springfield it says Model 1903.</div></div>

I had a low number Rock Island. It was not only in beautiful condition, but was a tack driver. I bought it, not even knowing about the possible risks. After I learned about them, I decided not to shoot it anymore and traded it on a nice Remington A3.

The problem with this particular gun, is not only that it's at risk to begin with, but it now also has additional holes drilled into the receiver which certainly aren't going to help your odds any. It's your call, but I sure as hell wouldn't shoot it, anymore. That's just me, though.

There really isn't much left that's original (as in, untouched), spare a few small parts and maybe the floorplate/magazine.

John

Looks like the front sight ramp was an add-on to an original barrel based on the markings on the barrel. They just removed the pin and drove off the rear sight base. Action, barrel, trigger guard, and bolt, etc all look 'original'. The shoot/no-shoot of 1903s below 800K has been a long standing argument. Do some research (www.jouster.com) and make your own decision. HTH.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oxcart13</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like the front sight ramp was an add-on to an original barrel based on the markings on the barrel. They just removed the pin and drove off the rear sight base. Action, barrel, trigger guard, and bolt, etc all look 'original'. The shoot/no-shoot of 1903s below 800K has been a long standing argument. Do some research (www.jouster.com) and make your own decision. HTH. </div></div>
That's what I was looking for, thanks!

Keep in mind that most modern ammo is higher pressure than what it was made to shoot, so if you insist on shooting it then make some light loads by hand... or at least download existing rounds by 10% to err on the side of caution.

I would not shoot a low number, especially one that has been drilled for that many different scope mounts and sights. The top hole spacing looks like it's for the Redfield JR mounts which are a big steel bar and might not hurt to have on there for rigidity. You couldn't run the peep then, but "c'est la vie".

You make the call, your face is next to it. Good luck, be safe.

When I saw your picture, I almost had to go up and see if my '03 was still in its rack!

This is a terrible picture, but:

03Springfield.jpg

Mine is a higher number and is barreled in .458 Win Mag. I mainly shoot it using .458 cases loaded
to .45/70 specifications.

Not sure when it was done, but I bought it in Alaska about 10 years ago. For peanuts. I think $300.
It belonged to a guide up there. Homebuilt/Bubbified for sure. But looks like the two builders all
bought the same Bubbification parts at the same store!

Thanks for posting. Neat rifle, even if it has been sporterized.

Cheers,

Sirhr

That's a purty lookin rifle if I do say so myself... haha you're right, except for the rear sight it looks like they might have gotten in on a group buy for parts!

What you have is a very nice deer rifle.

The bolt handle is not original.
The Sights were drilled & tapped later.
I doubt the barrel is original (could be wrong but it's been D&T'd up front and probably chopped to get rid of the front sight step & cut)
The safety has been replaced / modified.
The stock obviously has been replaced.

The receiver, bolt body and firing pin look original but that's about it. You would probably do well to have the holes welded up and re-MILLED for a scope base. 1903's are notoriously hard on drill / mill bits and many knowledgeable smiths refuse to D&T them because of it.

You have a good shooter, enjoy it.

Cheers,

Doc

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArcticLight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can it be re-heat treated or is it metallurgic in nature (The issue).

</div></div>

The issue is that the low numbers were only single heat treated instead of double treated, which is necessary to make them the correct hardness.

I've not heard about anyone re-treating them because I think the existing hardness is slightly variable from the single treatment. I don't know that it could be done precisely enough to make it safe.