• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help identifying this cartridge and bullet

cattleman99

Snyder Precision LLC
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2018
Lincoln, NE
www.snyderprecision.com
Appears to be a 7.62 NATO cartridge. Any idea on what era and type of bullet? It is a very, very light bullet. Loaded in a belt with every fifth as a tracer.

64E5A848-BE7D-4FAE-9C0E-ADB442EB91EC.jpeg
A622E7EC-C4AC-4F3A-8FFC-9AB6331C25E9.jpeg

General dynamics makes it, I used to have some 5.56 laying around the house somewhere
2BAF4FA5-44C1-44F5-819A-D46DDD1F1D8B.png

Wow. I had no idea there even was such a thing...
My cousin was on an exercise in Germany where the Bundeswehr were definitely shooting projectiles at him with an MG3. I presume it was "Patrone AM32, 7.62mm × 51, DM18A1B1, Übung ("practice"), (Germany): 10-grain (0.6 g) 7.62×51mm NATO plastic training cartridge, plastic case cartridge colored light blue with a light 10-grain plastic bullet which is fired with a high initial velocity. Non-corrosive, steel base with lead free primer. Developed from the Norwegian NM8 and NM127 short range practice rounds made by Bakelittfabrikken. Non-reloadable due to the plastic case."

My cousin was on an exercise in Germany where the Bundeswehr were definitely shooting projectiles at him with an MG3. I presume it was "Patrone AM32, 7.62mm × 51, DM18A1B1, Übung ("practice"), (Germany): 10-grain (0.6 g) 7.62×51mm NATO plastic training cartridge, plastic case cartridge colored light blue with a light 10-grain plastic bullet which is fired with a high initial velocity. Non-corrosive, steel base with lead free primer. Developed from the Norwegian NM8 and NM127 short range practice rounds made by Bakelittfabrikken. Non-reloadable due to the plastic case."
Sounds dangerous as fuck 😬

Sounds dangerous as fuck 😬
Depending on the propellant, I would think that after a certain range it would hurt like hell but be kinda like getting smacked real good with a rather larger airsoft BB. Give you a welt and turn you some new and fascinating shades of purple maybe.

Reactions: ZG47A
Probably no more dangerous than CCMCK or paint markers. I had one stroke my watch on the face and break it. It was a G shock, I was surprised
I am thinking these are more similar to the SRTA rounds (M862) rather than CCMCK/UTM rounds. While plastic, M862 certainly has the capability of being lethal at close ranges.

Edit: judging from the projectile shape, it kinda reminds me of high-drag cannon projectiles I’ve seen. Basically designed slow down super quick, and reducing an SDZ that might be something like 5-7k meters into maybe 1k. I think this is the same idea but on a smaller scale, allowing shooters to conduct a limited form of live-fire on ranges or complexes that normal ammunition wouldn’t be contained.

Short range…but not necessarily for force on force.

Last edited:
Reactions: roostercogburn98
I am thinking these are more similar to the SRTA rounds (M862) rather than CCMCK/UTM rounds. While plastic, M862 certainly has the capability of being lethal at close ranges.

Edit: judging from the projectile shape, it kinda reminds me of high-drag cannon projectiles I’ve seen. Basically designed slow down super quick, and reducing an SDZ that might be something like 5-7k meters into maybe 1k. I think this is the same idea but on a smaller scale, allowing shooters to conduct a limited form of live-fire on ranges or complexes that normal ammunition wouldn’t be contained.

Short range…but not necessarily for force on force.
Oh yeah without a doubt these would be dangerous to people/flesh at closer distances. I was referring to your description of the training rounds being used and dorn saying it sounded dangerous.

CCMCK, simunitions, SRTA are all fun to use or train with for sure. The SRTA has its quirks with needing a different bolt, and they will hang up in a barrel if it has any oil residue in it. It’s always fun cleaning a barrel that has a few lodged in it from the user not paying attention.