• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEED HELP!!! if possible

wjwill

Off road Junkie
Minuteman
Supporter+
Nov 28, 2007
East KY and Georgia
Is there a way to figure out what my muzzle velocity would be by the load i am using with out using a chronograph?

.30 178gr Hornady AMAX
Federal 210M Primer
43 grains of Varget
Winchester brass

The rifle data is....

Remington 700
18.5" Brux Barrel, it has a 1/10 twist

I don't have a chronograph, so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: NEED HELP!!! if possible

Best way I know how is to get a solid zero then hit steel at distance. Look at what other shooters have reported for a load similar to yours. Plug in the best estimate MV in JDM Ballistics, try it out in the field. Dial calculated correction, shoot it, record the data, repeat farther out.if it tells you to hold 3.2 Mils at 500 yards and you see .2 Mil high write down 3.0 as a correction.

Go back to the ballistic calculator and adjust the MV until calculated data matches what you learned in the field at various distances.

Absolutely, I guess the mv based on load data (book / SH threads) and after getting a 100 yard zero go out to 300 / 500 yards. I'm always within a Moa so then I can centre the load on target then fine tune my ballistic calculator to suit. I've tried a chrono but it was a cheap one and not up to much - I prefer to use results on target.

Free ballistics software is available at huntingnut.com. With the software, you can calculate bullet drop at various distances if you know the muzzle velocity and the ballistic coefficient of the bullet.

Working it the other way, if you know how many inches the bullet drops from say 100 to 200 yards and the ballistic coefficient, you can get an idea of what the muzzle velocity is. It is, admittedly, a rough estimate compared to a chronograph but at least gives you an idea of the velocity.

Then there is the ballistic pendulum. I've never tried that but I've read it works as well.

For my 308, I used 6" Shoot-n-see targets at 900 yards. Changed setting on elevation turret until POI was at correct elevation. After that, I simply changed the MV setting in my ballistic calculator until it showed the elevation that my turret was set at.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jagged77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Absolutely, I guess the mv based on load data (book / SH threads) and after getting a 100 yard zero go out to 300 / 500 yards. I'm always within a Moa so then I can centre the load on target then fine tune my ballistic calculator to suit. I've tried a chrono but it was a cheap one and not up to much - I prefer to use results on target. </div></div>
Take your good load at 100 yds.(.250")... use ballistic table for load used.Range test at all distances which is the proof in the pudding.Chronographs vary widely....

Most chronos suck anyway. Solid 100 yd zero early mornin 700-1000 yd shot and ballistic calculator and now you have solid real world data not a guess.