• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help in deciding caliber

garrett4

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2004
oak ridge tn
Will be shooting at 600, 800 and 1000 and was looking at 308 or 30-06 help me decide as I have a chance to purchase a m40a1 type rifle in 308 or let it pass and have 30-06 built. Would probably use 175'smk barrel on m40 is 11.25 twist at 24. Would do you think. I am learning how to reload through a friend so ammo would not be a problem. Thanks a bunch

Re: Need help in deciding caliber

Think about what you can do witha .30-'06 that you can't do with a .308. Then ask yourself the same of the .308. It's not a big difference, but it's a real one.

i cant tell you what to do, but i would buy the 308. always find ammo for one, there is alot of load info on 308's, fairly cheap to shoot, and its an effective round. all IMHO.
good luck with your purchase

I tend to find .308 less problem to load for than 30-06. For some reason I seem to jack up more of the 30-06 brass in the process usually lube denting the case, I don't have the same probem with .308 and find it more friendly to load. The 30-06 is usually a bit faster and one finds loaded cartridges in heavier bullets but if you are reloading that changes the game. I really see no reason to go with the 175SMK when you can load the 190 SMK at least to 2600FPS and I know guys loading it to 2650 which is HOT but it shoots like a lazer. The rifle of choice to me would be a stainless Remmington R5 Mil Spec with the 11.25 R5 barrel. I would also put a 3-9x42 Super Sniper FFP 1/10Mil clicks on it. In fact mine has a Smith Vortex installed and was sent to Walter Birdsong for green T finish although If I did it again I'd go tan or black the green is butt ugly but works to tone down all that stainless. I might even consider cutting down the barrel to 18 If I built another one as I like the short rifles that you can get turned around inside a car.

????
.243 ??? are you only talking shooting paper? I cant imagine a .243 having much energy left at 1000. What bullet would you be using in a .243 for long range?