• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help in starting long range compition

Re: Need help in starting long range compition

can you also define "long range"?

The 308 would be more versatile, 24-26" barrel would be a bit long for tactical but it would work and a bit short for F T/R matches but it would work with the correct twist and bullet combo. Plenty of components for 308 out there.

$0.02

Or 308, 24" 26" is not too short for tactical.
I have never I repeat NEVER lost to a shorter barreled rifle, and I run a 24" in alot of ,major matches. Excluding Rifles only which I've never been to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or 308, 24" 26" is not too short for tactical.
I have never I repeat NEVER lost to a shorter barreled rifle, and I run a 24" in alot of ,major matches. Excluding Rifles only which I've never been to. </div></div>

When do you shoot a 308?

I didn't mean to step on anyones toes, I meant in general terms only. Most of the posts here talk about 20-22" barrels for short stiff, easily mobile rifles, of course others are winners too. Mostly would depend on what you would want to carry maybe?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have never I repeat NEVER lost to a shorter barreled rifle, and I run a 24" in alot of ,major matches. </div></div>

So what you are saying is that if your rifle had a shorter barrel, you couldn't shoot as good?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RADcustom</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have never I repeat NEVER lost to a shorter barreled rifle, and I run a 24" in alot of ,major matches. </div></div>

So what you are saying is that if your rifle had a shorter barrel, you couldn't shoot as good? </div></div>

No, I think he's saying that if he's got the longest tube at any match he's guaranteed to win
wink.gif

to the OP
i just started shooting f t/r with a reming 700 .308
the reason why i started here is because of all the options for both the round and the stick. i am already wanting to re barrel it and drop it into a new stock. but if you new to the shooting sport like myself i would say go with the .308

I agree, if new to the sport 308 is where its at. Everyone that's been around a minute can help you with 308 info, and good match ammo is more readily avaialble than other calibers.

If you are an accomplished shooter and already reload and are going to have a dedicated comp rifle for practical precision comps go ahead and get a 6.5 built and be ahead of the curve.

However, if you want to shoot a few practical precision matches and maybe some F-Class stick with the 308, because F/TR you can only have 308 and 223.

And don't be scared of the long tube. I think 24-26" is perfect unless you are actually going to use the rifle a)with a supressor or b)on a two way range in and out of vehicles and cover.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rware91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">to the OP
i just started shooting f t/r with a reming 700 .308
the reason why i started here is because of all the options for both the round and the stick. i am already wanting to re barrel it and drop it into a new stock. but if you new to the shooting sport like myself i would say go with the .308 </div></div>

+1

I would take the 308 for competition of all those that you mentioned. Also, the 308 is going to be less recoil felt over the multiple rounds that you shoot in competitions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alecto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">should I use 280, 30-06, or 308 for competition? </div></div>

If you don't reload then 308 out of those three.Next on the list would be 6.5 Creedmoor for the non reloader.

If you do reload then of the three 280.

6.5mm is a good do all caliber and so is 6mm but with less recoil and slightly less barrel life.

Steve

308 seems to be a pretty good long range round out to 1000 yards.