• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help installing barrel with barrel nut.

ShadowAviator

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2021
Kansas
I am getting ready to rebarrel my Tikka T3x. The action and new barrel are stainless.

I have read on here that most use a grease or some sort of antiseize between the barrel threads and the action. ( my plan was grease)

However, what about between the barrel nut and barrel? Also grease? Dry? Loctite? Elmer's glue?

I am getting ready to rebarrel my Tikka T3x. The action and new barrel are stainless.

I have read on here that most use a grease or some sort of antiseize between the barrel threads and the action. ( my plan was grease)

However, what about between the barrel nut and barrel? Also grease? Dry? Loctite? Elmer's glue?
Yes, treat it the same as the tenon in the receiver.

First step to installing a barrel nut barrel is to throw it in the trash and buy a shouldered barrel.

When installing you just want the threads coated in grease, lots of stuff will work. I use whatever is handy and have never had an issue. Bearing grease, marine grease, tetra, you name it it will work. A lot of people use anti seize too.

You are essentially filling the valleys of the threads so the grime doesn’t get into them and seize. I’ve ever only needed to grease the barrel threads as both the receiver and nut ride on those threads. Do keep the nut face and front of receiver clean.

You are essentially filling the valleys of the threads so the grime doesn’t get into them and seize. I’ve ever only needed to grease the barrel threads as both the receiver and nut ride on those threads. Do keep the nut face and front of receiver clean.
Wrong, Grease is used to prevent galling .

Reactions: whatsupdoc
I use anti seize. You missed your opportunity to do it just before halloween though
antiseize.jpg

Thanks for the info.

So more or less grease the threads, and keep other surfaces clean.

Any recommendations on barrel nut torque?

It seems like everyone uses a different amount of torque.

depends on who you want to listen too anywhere from 50-100.
I stay away from 100 though and stay in the 60-80 range.

Thanks for the info.

So more or less grease the threads, and keep other surfaces clean.

Any recommendations on barrel nut torque?

It seems like everyone uses a different amount of torque.
I anti seize/grease any surface where bare metal slides over bare metal. Dont go dry, at least spit on it first.

I say go good n tight. For me that ends up being around 80 lbs on the torque wrench where I say hey, thats solid but I can get it off with some intention next time.

Less will likely be fine as many can attest to and more wont hurt as many can attest to.