• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help interpreting a load test

BravoXray

Odark30
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2009
Maryland
Okay, I've been trying a new load using PP2000 which gives me awesome velocity. Upon looking at these results of course I'm tempted to go with 47.1 gr.
Would this be considered to be at the bottom of a node?
Or am I looking a this wrong?
Looking at the last 4 targets all of these charge weights seem to hover at the same elevation with very little deviation. Similar to what you look for in a ladder test, right?
Also, there were no signs of pressure, and this was not a compressed load.
47.4 at the range my partner and I were convinced two went through the same hole.
The last shot at 47.6 was simply because I prepped for 25 cases and it was an oddball, so I used it as a test for pressure.

Rifle: Rem 700 .308 /blue printed
Barrel: 26 in Schnieder 1:11.25
Bullet: Berger 175 OTM/Lapua brass 3x
CCI Br2
coal: 2.85

Last edited:
That is a monster point of impact shift from 46.8gr to 47.1gr. So much so I would have a hard time trusting 47.1gr to reproduce the same results on any other day especially during the winter. Are you sure you didn’t move the elevation on the scope or change anything? But like others have said load up some more and try it again. If it does look good on a second round, don’t be scratching your head in the winter. Even with a temp stable powder. Be sure to keep your neck tension the same as well.

Load up 4 shots each and start at 47.1 and go by .2g powder weight change to 47.9
You'll see if the 47.1 holds up or your in a wide node, and something else will pop up.
3 shots doesn't lend to a group, you pull one and 2 shots won't tell you much.
And then you can work on a seating depth change if needed.
Don't change anything other than powder weight.

Reactions: BravoXray
That is a monster point of impact shift from 46.8gr to 47.1gr. So much so I would have a hard time trusting 47.1gr to reproduce the same results on any other day especially during the winter. Are you sure you didn’t move the elevation on the scope or change anything? But like others have said load up some more and try it again. If it does look good on a second round, don’t be scratching your head in the winter. Even with a temp stable powder. Be sure to keep your neck tension the same as well.

There was a change in bipod height now that I think about it. other than that everything was the same. But yeah Ill try a few more and see if it was fluke.

918v maybe be on to a node but I would stick with this COAL and shoot 47.1 to 47.9 or 48.1 again. I suspect you have a pulled shot at 47.4. I know the 178 Amax has a wide node in the high 47, low 48 grain range at 2.800”.

918v maybe be on to a node but I would stick with this COAL and shoot 47.1 to 47.9 or 48.1 again. I suspect you have a pulled shot at 47.4. I know the 178 Amax has a wide node in the high 47, low 48 grain range at 2.800”.

Funny you should mention the high node for the Amax. I also did a load workup for the Hornady 178 HBT (couldn't find the Amax at the time) same charges, brass, etc. at the same time.

I didn't post those targets because the Berger 175's looked like they had better results. Now I might just go back and test both from 47.1 up to 47.9.

Your velocity only changed 15 fps from 46.2-46.5, I'd load in the center of that and you have a +/-0.1 grn error that ideally gives you minimal velocity change. Test seating depth to tighten the groups up, they're not horrible now but there is room for improvement.

Your velocity only changed 15 fps from 46.2-46.5, I'd load in the center of that and you have a +/-0.1 grn error that ideally gives you minimal velocity change. Test seating depth to tighten the groups up, they're not horrible now but there is room for improvement.

If ~47.4 is indeed a node then ~46.1 would be close to the next lower node.

So quick update

I went back out last Friday and retested the 47.1 and was able to get results pretty close to before. I shot three different groups this time with 5 shots. Velocity averaged around 2842fps a tad slower but still great. I then tested a group before and after with my suppressor that I was finally able to get my hands on after a year of waiting. Group B, I was eager to shoot suppressed for the first time so it kind of shows. Group C, I adjusted my zero and tried to calm down a little. Can I just say after shooting with a suppressor I will never go back.

20190806_172714.jpg

Saturday I took the same load to an LRC match at Peacemaker. All steel targets from small 1 moa targets to 12-inch IPSC targets, from 470 -866 yards. I was able to manage 13 first-round hits. Most of my misses were a failure to adjust for wind. Honestly, I held dead center for most of the shots because I just wanted to see where they impacted. I mostly used this competition to do my load development and get dope at distance. Even those misses were only by about .2 mils right of POA. Others were rushed shots. All in all the load proved very very effective. Temps got to about 85 deg I think and humidity was about 67%. On the very first day I tested this load it was close to 90 degrees so I'm thinking I should be good to go as far temp and pressure in the future. (❔)

The only thing I noticed was some black rings around case necks which indicate unburnt power. So I may decide to try some federal primers I have here instead of the CCI on the next go-round.

Any feedback is welcomed.
Otherwise, thank you guys for your help.

Reactions: Juggerxxx