• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need help - laws on hunting suppressed?

pangris

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Feb 25, 2006
    I'm preparing a report on which states allow the use of suppressors for hunting, and what you can hunt with them in that state. I heard there was a thread about that here recently but my search-fu isn't revealing it.

Louisiana currently does not allow the use of suppressors, but we (a state 2A group) have been asked by someone who can bring the idea to the appropriate committee to put together a list of where/what/how and they want it yesterday...

Any info you can help find the thread, or info as far as the language/legal code that allows, or doesn't disallow, the use of cans in specific states... help would be great!

Thanks -

Paul

Nevermind, found it!

Re: Need help - laws on hunting suppressed?

Hi Paul,

I appears reasonable that Kansas will allow hunting with suppressors very shortly.

KS SB152 just passed the Senate last Thursday 38-1 and is now in House committee. This bill will clearly state that KS residents can carry concealed while hunting in both firearm and archery seasons and also hunt any game with SUPPRESSORS.

Thanks,
    Darin Reiss
    FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS

New York State is a no go for suppressors.

Someone has a list on here of each state if you can search it out, Its been done a couple times. By the way Va is good to go on suppressor hunting.

Oklahoma-not allowed for hunting game. Pigs (not game) are ok.

We tried to pass a suppressed hunting law two or three years ago, the biggest hurdle, game wardens/LE. They are convinced the only reason you would hunt with a suppressor is to poach. Sad, ignorant fools.

ATF website publishes State Laws and Published Ordinances - Firearms report which might help you

I haven't seen the thread here...but the one at Silencer Talk is fairly old.

As is this picture. Its a fair reference, but needs updated BADLY.
    If you get figures from all 50 states...it would be awesome to have a new map put together.

In South Dakota, we can use them for any kind of hunting. Varmint, Predator, or Game animals. AND WE DO IT OFTEN!
    smile.gif

(this is on page 3 of that thread)
    4069842353_540811aa1e_o.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 50calcruiser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oklahoma-not allowed for hunting game. Pigs (not game) are ok.

We tried to pass a suppressed hunting law two or three years ago, the biggest hurdle, game wardens/LE. They are convinced the only reason you would hunt with a suppressor is to poach. Sad, ignorant fools. </div></div>

Be glad that version failed it was only for landowners. But i hear you on the LE/Wildlife Dept. Funny thing is over the last 10 years I know of at least 5 OK LEO's busted for poaching in the area I hunt.

I guess with their "logic" archery should be banned, hell of a lot quieter than a suppressed rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DarinR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Paul,

I appears reasonable that Kansas will allow hunting with suppressors very shortly.

KS SB152 just passed the Senate last Thursday 38-1 and is now in House committee. This bill will clearly state that KS residents can carry concealed while hunting in both firearm and archery seasons and also hunt any game with SUPPRESSORS.

Thanks,
    Darin Reiss
    FFL/SOT in Haysville, KS</div></div>

Thanks for the info Darin, was curious as to our states' laws reguarding cans. Here in no-mans land I was told it was a Fed. Law that hunting with suppressors were prohibited. Keep us Kansans posted! I'll be paying a lot more attention to this.

Any news on if the bill passed? Hearing rumors that its now legal to hunt suppressed in KS. Not sure where to search net to find this out.

Great, we need to be able to at least shoot hogs legally with suppressors. Hell, I don't know why they make such a big deal out of it, we are not even supposed to hunt them at night on private land, without jumping through their hoops. Guess they are scared someone will bust a deer, but who cares if they do, they would have done it anyways.