• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need help modding MCM A5 for Surgeon *Pics Added*

USMCj

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
Nazzifornia
Hi guys,

I finally got my MCM A5, and Im trying to fit my Surgeon RSR action into the stock. I spent 20 minutes inletting the recoil lug area to accept the Surgeon .3" recoil lug.

Now I need to make a releif cut for the Surgeon side bolt release, does anyone have any pics of a McMillan A5 showing how its cut on the side for the side bolt release?

next up will be the bolt handle channel mod.

thanks.

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

Re: Need help modding MCM A5 for Surgeon bolt release.

Who do your work on the barreling? I sent mine off right before you did and Im still waiting
frown.gif

Basicly when I have inletted for a side bolt release that does not have a guard around it like the RSR, I go about 1/8" all the way around for clearance. Seems to be a happy compromise of being easy to hit while not being accidently released.

I have not even sent mine out, lol. Im still waiting on my barrel from Rock Creek, they said they are going to ship monday.

As for the bolt release, I found a pic online and did it the same way, it came out nice. The bolt handle channel is another story! God damn, the surgeon bolt drops down way farther than a M700! it took a lot of sanding with a sanding drum on the Dremel to get it right. But the RSR drops right in now.

I havent even decided who to send my build out to, but I do know that I do not want to be waiting for months on end. Its just a barrel threading and chambering job, shouldnt take too long to do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Its just a barrel threading and chambering job, shouldnt take too long to do.</div></div>

Thats what I was hoping too!!

Can you snap a photo of how much inletting had to be done on the bolt handle?

sure, Ill take some pics a little later and post them in this thread.

If a smith takes longer than a month to thread and chamber a barrel, there is something wrong! There is no blueprinting involved with the Surgeon for fuck sake.

Pics added to the OP. 2 showers later, Im still itching from all the fiberglass particles stuck to my arms and body.

Cold shower......hot just opens the pores for the 'glass.

Looks good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMCj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pics added to the OP. 2 showers later, Im still itching from all the fiberglass particles stuck to my arms and body. </div></div>

Lungs itching too? Hope you didn't breathe in too much of the dust.

Stock looks good! Little gelcoat and paint on the worked areas and you'd never know it was modified.

Thats why I always grind or sand fiberglass with a mask and the vaccum hose stuck right in the middle of the work. Did that once and learned the hard way.

Lungs are fine, just the arms were itching. +1 on the cold shower, I never take a hot shower after fiberglass exposure.

How would I go about gelcoating the worked area? the only spot that needs it is the bolt handle channel, the side bolt stop area doesnt need it because I never got to the fiberglass. I guess the gelcoat was pretty thick in that area.

Thanks for the pictures. I'll be performing the same surgery when I receive my Manners stock for my RSR. For the gelcoat, go to your local marine/boat store. They should have clear gel-coat which can be applied with a small brush to protect the modified area and give it a more finished look. Hope this helps

Oh ya! Ill be pillar bedding it once Glen (Seekins) sells me his WSM DBM. Hear that Glen? my project is on hault till I get that DBM!!!!! lol
wink.gif

Shit!!! That reminds me, Im not even close to being done with the stock work! i still have to inlett the bottom metal area for the Seekins DBM, sand the barrel channel from Rem Varmint to Rock MTU (ouch!) then seal it with gelcoat, and then pillar bed the damn thing!

Next time I think Ill just order the stock from McMillan ready to go with pillars and everything. Just wish the wait wasnt 6+ months.

You can send it back to mcm and they will inlet the bottom metal for sure. I believe they charge $51, but I'm not sure about the barrel channel. Might give them a call just to see.

Bottom metal is the easy part, the Seekins BM is pretty close to the BDL inlett, so it wont take to much to get it to fit. The barrel channel is another story. Ill call them monday and see what they say.