• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need Help Mounting LRF to Spotting Scope

Hoax001

Private
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2014
Hey gents. I am trying to mount a Terrapin X to the top rail of my LMSII.

LMSS II 2.jpg

1. Does anyone know what mount is used to mount the LRF to the pic rail on this Swaro?

Swaroski and Terrapin close.jpg

2. How do I co-witness the LRF center of the Spotting scope's reticle? I have seen a cheap mount like this one, but there has to be a better way.

co witness rail close.jpg

Any suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• Swaroski and Terrapin.jpg
    Swaroski and Terrapin.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 145
Potentially the most simple answer would be something like this... A picatinny rail mounted, micro ball head that should direct thread into the TerrapinX. It won't be THE best option, but at least it's inexpensive and you'd figure out how often you'd use it and being a ball head, you can co-witness the two better than a straight through double clamp.

If you go for a custom job, RRS SOAR make an Arca base plate for the TPX now which would get you on the right path.

Reactions: Hoax001
Thanks. I just realized the Shadow Tech MARC Pic is reversible. This should do the trick. Now for the co-witness.

Shadow Tech.PNG

if you want the be able to cowitness, seems like you either need a ball head or a modified elcan mount.
side by side on a plate makes more sense if you use a micro ball head or geared head.
i use a geared head for the lrf if i am ranging stuff so far away i need a tripod and want it matched to the spotter.

Really Right Stuff Micro Ball Clamp

Now that's it's mounted on that rail, how are you going to see through it to read the range, or even to get it aligned? The best solution is an L bracket, where the spotter goes on the short leg set upright and the LRF goes on the long leg now parallel to the ground and mounted to the tripod. Align up/down on the spotter and L/R on the LRF, you can look through either.
Testing layout.JPG

Reactions: 6.5SH and 96C

Brent over at Flatline Ops hooked me up with a limited run that was done for a military contract. These things look perfect for co-witnessing a LFR and spotting scope, either vertically or side-by-side.

PastedGraphic-23.png

Brent over at Flatline Ops hooked me up with a limited run that was done for a military contract. These things look perfect for co-witnessing a LFR and spotting scope, either vertically or side-by-side.

View attachment 7514998
nice. way better looking than my $40 Orion slo-motion adapter.
even more than being cowitnessed, it is great to be able to scan with some precision when trying to range a small or difficult target at long range.

Potentially the most simple answer would be something like this... A picatinny rail mounted, micro ball head that should direct thread into the TerrapinX. It won't be THE best option, but at least it's inexpensive and you'd figure out how often you'd use it and being a ball head, you can co-witness the two better than a straight through double clamp.

FYI: I Just for fun I tried the Rail Dogz ball head. It doesn't work. Not to knock Rail Dogz, the product is nicely made, but the ball head is crude and is not applicable for a precision instrument. It is designed for a Gopro camera, which I'm sure it works great for. But, with a LFR you cannot accurately co-witness your reticles, as it is simply not precise enough. Good thought though. Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: 96C