• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help naming AR-15 malfunction (Thanks gotit!)

Omaga420

Private
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2012
New Mexico
Okay, I had this problem with a DPMS AR and I'm having difficulty finding the name of the malfunction. So here goes and sorry I don't have more photos.

This was a double feed of sorts. The 1st cartridge was stuck mid feed while the 2nd cartridge was lodged between the bolt extractor and the charging handle right where the gas port is (above the bolt extractor). The Bolt was stuck right halfway of where it should be either locked to the rear or forward.

Considering I had never encountered this before I did what any sensible person would do... dropped the mag and pulled the charging handle back... whoops! I didnt know at the time but I'm pretty sure I jammed the cartridge in there pretty tight because of that.

Solution for the jam is to drop the mag, dislodge the cartridge in the chamber, then pry the bolt back and dislodge the top fed cartridge. At least thats how I managed to dislodge it. The thing was stuck in there pretty bad and it took some serious work getting the bullet out. I blame the shit follower in the magazine for the malfunction.

A picture of the problem cartridge after the fact.
photo4_zpsb6fa178a.jpg

Re: Need help naming AR-15 malfunction

Need a photo of what it looks like when it happens.
Is the following correct?
The chambered round fired, the bolt unlocked, carrier assy moves to the rear and picks up the next round and jams it between the mag and extracted round, is that what your saying? If that is what happened you have a fail to eject.
If it's trying to strip two rds from the mag at once, it's a double feed, which is mostly a mag lip or height issue.
Again a photo will clear it up quickly.

Hope this helps,

Okay, a picture is worth a thousand words so I induced this in my LMT. There would be another round below the one shown where the bolt is pushing another round from the magazine.
This happened after a round was fired and the spent casing had been ejected.

P01-14-13_1734_zps57faaa39.jpg

That's a bolt override. Most of the time, it's a faulty magazine that'll cause this. The next round ejects from the magazine while the bolt is still rearward, instead of the bolt stripping the round from the magazine, and wedges itself between the bolt and reciever.

Mark that magazine for future reference, and trash it if it happens again. The feed lips are probably bent/out of spec.

Thank you so much! That's the name I was looking for. Oh and I ditched that mag when I sold the DPMS. Was the one that came with it... POS.

It looks like you didn't mar your lower up as much as I did, had to refinish it.
Now I know what it is called.
The guy that refinished mine said the barrel nut was loose, so we figured that was the cause.
Glad you posted this, I suppose I'll have to do it again to find the culprit mag.
smile.gif

I set up that malfunction once with an aluminum snap-cap. Bad idea....never again lol