• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help on Leupold's New Ballistic Fire Dot Ret.

fockell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
SC, Kansas
I have been researching this scope and finding limited info on the Reticle. Leupold VXR 4-12x40 with the Ballistic Fire Dot reticle is what I have been considering. It has a few hold overs and was trying to find out the distance between increments. THanks

Re: Need help on Leupold's New Ballistic Fire Dot Ret.

I'm interested in the same scope. Sure would be nice if Leupold would give us some info we could actually use instead of all the gimmicky BS they put on their website. You can't even find something on their site by searching for the exact term they use to describe it.

Re: Need help on Leupold's New Ballistic Fire Dot Ret.

The silence on it is deafening....

First, just to help you out, you can find the info on it here on page 8:
https://www2.leupold.com/resources/downloads/2008_03_BAS_Engl.pdf

Now for my opinion on them...

Ballistic reticles have very specific applications such as ACOGs on the battlefield with one ammunition type and one rifle type, and rapid engagement at multiple ranges in a high stress environment when "minute of man" precision is necessary.

Outside of that, especially when precision is a concern, they are restrictive, impractical and inaccurate. Especially in a SFP scope such as the one listed in the OP as your "ballistic" drop reticle is inaccurate at any other magnification setting. Having to be on 12x on a deer sized target at 300yds in a field type setting is a pain as 30ft FOV makes target acquisition difficult if the target blends with the background.

Layman hunters will rave about them being great as they usually don't even take shots at extended distances or they don't mind being held to a specific rifle/ammo combination for the 20 shots a year they take and they're looking for deer sized kill zone accuracy. If this is what you intend on using it for then it should be fine, but otherwise keep looking.

I recommend seeking out a scope with adjustable turrets and a matching mil/moa reticle (preferably FFP) before considering one of these type scopes.