• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help on remington 700p problem

kool Guyy117

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2013
I just got a remington 700p in 308 it is brand new and I tried to cycle rounds through it and I've notice they come out all scratched up even the bullet. is there anyway to fix this I think it's the feed ramp that is scratching the bullet but not totally sure this is the 2nd time in a row I've had this happen from remigton 700s

A little polishing on the feed ramp and chamber should easily solve that.
Should I just take it to a gunsmith i really don't want to mess it up or something but damn I'm a lol mad this is a brand new rifle and it scratches the bullets bad

yep, they take some polishing. the surfaces are sharp from the factory. with mine, I took 3 rounds and cycled them through repeatedly. that will reduce, but not eliminate, the case scratching.

the rifle is so accurate, I have forgiven it for the rough feeding.

Im on my second 700P in 300WM… Same problem. First one was so bad I fired one round of factory ammo and the case was STUCK. Gunsmith was able to get it out, bore scoped it, said it was a total mess. Sent it back to Rem, they sent me a whole new gun. So far so good on this one, 150rds no issues.

Im on my second 700P in 300WM… Same problem. First one was so bad I fired one round of factory ammo and the case was STUCK. Gunsmith was able to get it out, bore scoped it, said it was a total mess. Sent it back to Rem, they sent me a whole new gun. So far so good on this one, 150rds no issues.
Wow that's crazy atleast you got a new rifle i hope mine doesn't do that

image.jpg right when I opened the box I noticed these marks on feed ramp

I had a similar problem with my 700 .308vls. I polished the mag channel aswell as
My counterbore. Remington factory barrel chambers are never created
With the precision of a custom, I found this out the hard way.
In addition to the scratches, I could not get my rifle to shoot anything near 1
Inch MOA at 100 and after removing the factory,
I found that they used a crappy
Reamer to chamber and half my throat still had lands in it.
I had never seen anything like this in my life.
Now I always replace factory barrels before shooting a new
Rifle. I suppose you can rechamber and redo your counterbore, if you didn't want to get a custom barrel. I love the 700 action,
I usually take them apart to blueprint also. Just not to fond of the tenon work
By Remington. Maybe the 5r models are done with greater care.