• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help on Rifle decision

boom2336

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 27, 2010
Fallbrook, CA
Ok well I have been tossing around the idea of getting a Savage 110BA or BAS-T in .308. Well I think I a just going to stick to the vernerable Reington 700. I have been eyeing the GAP Base Custom in either .338LM or .308.

I was wondering what you guys think about the Base Custom. I know GAP puts out a darn good rifle, I was just wondering if there is a better route I could/should go.

I tossed around the idea of buying a base Remington and doing the work, but with a busy work schedule I dont think I would ever get around to shooting the rifle if I always had parts floating around the US.

I think that the Base Custom in either caliber would fill the niche for a good while, especialy with the 1/2 MOA gaurentee. Like I said just wanting to get some of your opinions, or alternate routes soe of you would take.

I have never built my own custom rifle, and honestly dont have the slightest clue as to where to start on one. All I know is that I want a riflethat I can trust and will not fail me.

Bring on the posts.

Re: Need help on Rifle decision

i would consider sako trg 22/42 you will be shooting it alot faster and they shoot great. don't get wrong impression gap builds fantastic rifles.

alot of this depends on your budget, caliber, specific use and how soon you want it.

As far as caliber, I am looking at either .308 or .338LM.

As far as uses, Hunting, Target, Maybe Competitions, Zombies.

As for budget, that is a hard one. I know to get what I want I will pay a pretty penny. I can either spread it out over time or splurge. I would like to get something off the bat that will hold me over for a while until I start to out shoot my rifle.

Here's a question, which base Reington would be the best platform to start with, with the plans of customizing it over time.

first things first start with 308 overtime consider the 338 but most matches wouldnt let you use the 338 even if you were crazy enough to try.

euro optics will sell you trg 22 in 308 for around $2500 and it is ready to rock and will shoot lights out.

otherwise i would get 700pss or 700 r5, but if you plan on building on it just buy a already built one and save the hassle.

i have a fully adjustable stock hs precision and badger m5 for rem 700 sa if you are interested in just getting sps tactical and upgrading stock. i will be listing it later this week.

pm me if interested.

I have been leaning towards the .308 since I have bout 5000 rounds of brass to reload.

For the Price of a TRG should I just go with a GAP Base Custom.

you would NOT be let down with just going with a GAP. I have owned a GAP-TIS and it shot lights out. Will definitely have another one someday.

Call Mike at Underground Skunkworks. He will hook you up with a great rifle. Great guy and Mike will take the time to talk you though every step of the build.

I would stray away from the 338 Lapua, not because it is a bad round (Truly awesome power, accuracy, and zombie killing power), but more expensive to shoot right off the bat. 308 for sure.

In the end, just depends on budget, and if that budget includes reloading set up, powder, bullets and the like. Dont forget that. Any rifle will like handloads more than factory (typically).

in all honestly what i would suggest is buying a remington 700 or even just a 700 short action from brownells and then building your rifle up yourself. Not only does this process ensure that you know your rifle inside and out but if done correctly will give you sub .5 MOA results. you can also save a little bit of money too. I recently went through this same process and found couldnt be happier with how it turned out. you get exactly what you want....no exceptions

I would go with the GAP .308. The Ammo is MUCH cheaper to buy or make and the rifle will easily reach out 1000 yards. The more simple the stock, the lighter it is. I would get the Huber 2 stage trigger, but that is my (humble) opinion. I think the trigger is (almost) EVERYTHING so you don't jerk the rifle at the very last second. Also, the lighter the stock (because it makes the rifle lighter) the better. AND go with a 20 inch medium barrel. It will go supersonic to 1000 yards and makes the rifle much easier to maneuver
Good luck

I think a savage/mcmillian would shoot about 1/2 MOA out of the box. You could pour a lot of money into a Remington and still not out shoot it.
338 mag is about $5 a pop.
Saved money could go into optics, ammo, etc.
A Remington or GAP would also work fine.