• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help on scope choice

harrydog

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2012
Ohio
New member here. I've been reading through the forums for awhile now and have learned a great deal but I still have lots of questions.
I recently picked up a Savage model 10 PC. I want to set it up as a portable, target/tactical rifle that can be used for hunting, plinking and target, but target will be the primary use.

I anticipate shooting mostly 100 to 300 yards and occasionally out to 600 yards or so. I doubt I'd be going much beyond that.
I would like to keep the cost of my scope as low as possible without sacrificing too much quality. I don't want to feel the need to upgrade the optics any time soon.
I want to stay below $1000 and preferably around $600-$700 if possible. I might be willing to go as high as $1200 but there would have to be a really compelling reason to spend that much.

Based on what Ive been reading here and other places, it seems that I really don't need anything more than a 3-9 power scope for my intended use. If that's the case, the Leupold Tactical VX-R Patrol has really caught my attention and I'd like to hear opinions on it and any other scopes in that I should also consider. If that's not the case, please let me know what I should be looking at.

Again, I'm a complete novice at this and need good advice so I can avoid buying something that I may regret later.

Re: Need help on scope choice

Take a look at the Vortex Viper 4-16X50 FFP scope. They run $800-$900 depending on vendor.

+1 for the vortex pst for your price range. The more you learn the more you will realize you need more scope than what you have. I spent $2,400 on a night force f1 shot my first comp two weeks ago and purchased a $3,699 Schmidt & Bender. The point I'm making is buy the best scope you can afford and not just good enough. I love my f1 will never get rid of it. Another point if I did decide to sell it I could get $1,800-$1,900. It was told to me when I first got on the hide "buy once cry once".
Good luck

Look at the bushnell 3-12 with G2 reticule. I just bought one and for the price it is very good. Another I'd consider is the Sightron 3-10X mildot mil knobs model. It's about the same price as the bushnell but judging by other S3 scopes I've seen the glass is probably better.

I also have a 3-9 patrol leupold for sale. If you want a simple all-around scope it is a good choice but honestly I think that the bushnell 3-12 is a better choice for your purposes.

I Agree with santo, I think the PST 4-16x50 either FFP or SFP would be a good choice, I would go with the SFP for hunting, the reticle on FFP in low magnification is really fine ( thin ) and it's probably not the best choice, if hunting in low light you may need to keep it on 5x or higher.

I'm looking at the leo myself . I'm building a 6.5x55 . let me know if you get that scope . sorry first post thanx

I am a BIG fan of the super sniper scopes.

I have a fixed 6x and a 5-20 HD.

You could get yourself a 3-9 Super Sniper HD for $600 brand spankin new, even less if you find one used off the hide.

I favor the SS glass over the Viper PST glass, but that is just my opinion....

Thanks for all the replies so far. I've looked through the Vortex scopes and they seem to be very nice, especially for the money, but it seemed to me that the glass quality was not as good as some others at higher power. Definitely not out of the question though.
I've heard really good things about the 3-9 Super Sniper and if I stick with 3-9 that is probably what I'll go with.
I've also heard really good things about the Sightron scopes. In fact the 3.5-10x44 looks to be perfect for me and the price is good at <$800. But I really like the MOA-3 reticle version and that is $1052. I guess I'd be willing to go that high. At that price should I be looking at something else? Or should I go with the mildot retilce at $800? It just seems that the mildots would be less precise.

I would save the money - I haven't ever personally looked through a Sightron before, but I hear they are good.

One thing to consider is you are getting dangerously close to Leupold Mark 4 territory in that $1050 range, I know a lot of people will buck the Mark 4 and say it is overpriced garbage, but to my eyes, the glass is crystal clear and the mil dot is accurate.

I would stay at the $600 price point and go either Vortex PST 2.5-10 or Super Sniper 3-9.

Between those two scopes, I would go Super Sniper 3-9.

I've been researching this for quite a while and my thoughts keep evolving. I really want and need to make a decision soon. With the input from you guys I think I may have it narrowed down to the SS 3-9x42 for $600 or the Sightron 3.5-10x44 for $750 or so. I've read a lot about both of them and virtually no one has anything bad to say about them.
I guess my only question at this point is, what about the Sightron makes it worth the extra $150 or so? If it's noticeably better optics or better build quality or something like that, I have no problem going for the Sightron. If the differences are very minimal, then I may as well save the $150 to put toward something else, like base and rings.
Thoughts?