• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help on the best 338 Lapua for hunting and recreational shooting past 1000 yds

kellyz

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2013
Montana
I would like to hear the pros and cons of the following rifles:

Savage 110 BA
Armalite AR30
Weatherby MK V TRR
Sako TRG-42
Remington 700 XCR Tactical

Weight is a concern (Savage, Armalite) and so is cost (Sako). I am really hoping to maintain >2000 ft/lbs of energy past 1000 yards is why I really want the Lapua over others like the 300 ultra mag. Thanks in advance for your help. The decision is becoming very confusing and stressful. I would like to keep the cost of the rifle and scope to about $4k (I know this would not be possible with a new Sako) and I do realize the cost of ammo even when reloading.

The newest addition to my list is the Weatherby. It seems to be a pretty good fit, but I have not read any reviews from actual owners.

I shoot an AIAX 338 Lapua with 300 grain scenar and they are less than 2000 ft lbs at 1000 yards. If I need more muzzle energy at that range I use a .416 Barrett (3,262 ft lbs at 1000 yards).You may want to identify what you intend to do with the rifle before a more accurate response can be given. I know you say hunting and recreational shooting but more than 2000 ft lbs at 1000 yards does create a few questions. If down range energy is a major concern, you may want to go with a different caliber. While I also have a 300 RUM, that rifle is more for hunting unless you intend on getting a new barrel every year depending upon how much you shoot. With a 4k budget that puts the rifle at roughly 2,000 – 2,500 and the rest for optics.

Last edited:
I just had to go back to the ballistics calculator to make sure I don't screw up my response. I should have stated >2000 ft-lbs after 1000 yards calculated at an elevation of 6500 ft above sea level. The 300 RUM can approach this with 210 grain Berger hunting VLDs but as you mentioned the load would be very hot. Your price break for the rifle and scope is right on with what I have been thinking.

When I put a 210 gr bullet with a BC of .588 for a 300 RUM at 3200 fps out of a 26” barrel I get 1,482 ft lbs of energy at 1000 yards. Not sure you would pick up 600 ft lbs from elevation

Last edited:
BALLISTICS | Berger Bullets

When I enter the 210 gr hunting VLD (ballistic coefficient 0.631) w/ 3200 ft/sec muzzle velocity at sea level I get 1579 ft-lbs at 1000 yds (the velocity has dropped to 1840 ft/sec at 1000 yards at this altitude). When I change the altitude to 6500 feet, I get 1963 ft-lbs because the velocity is still 2052 ft/sec.

Of those listed I'd go with the TRG-42 and not look back. I had one for a while and it was a great shooting rifle. The green/phosphate rifles are contract rifle and weigh a little more (.5 lb I think). If you get one find one with the integrated scope base - you won't be sorry.

I would change the 110 ba to the 10/110 hs precision. For hunting purposes I think u would be happier with that setup. I have that rifle with nightforce atacr and nightforce rings and very happy with it. I know others have had problems with both ba and hs precision model but also a lot with no problems. Only problem I had was the rail came loose. I simply loctited it down and fixed problem. That gun with above scope and rings were3800. The only ammo I have used are the berger hunter elites in 300 grain and have been happy with accuracy . Although I'm sure for matches u could get a little more accurate rifle and spend a whole lot more but for hunting mine is plenty sufficient. I've shot groups at 100 all under 1moa , most being close to.5 . I have not had any bolt issues either for all I've used is lapua brass. I think for a starter 338 it's a good deal and I think the quality of the scope is just as important. I want to add that after I shoot it awhile I plan ongoing to a manners stock and better barrel with more efficient brake . I my not get any better accuraccy but its just for me wanting to add a little better equip to the rifle. Good luck with ur search and happy hunting.

Think of building a .338 Edge? Probably the most popular .338 for hunting and reloading Remingon brass instead of lapua cuts cost way down for ammo. $450 for the action (RUMRunner had one for sale), $2-500 for stock, $350 for barrel, $150 trigger, $100 Wyatt's 4" box, $150 bedded action, $100 muzzle brake plus a few hundred bucks for gunsmith labor puting it together should get you around $2k. Then a used NF 5.5-22x56 and you have a solid LR hunting stick.

Why would you want to hunt game at 1000+ yards? Your not punching paper, or steel. Just in the time of flight, your game can move giving you a bad hit.
Come on. Lets not give the antis any more crap to throw in our face.

If you have to shoot at 1000 yards. Your not hunting! Get Closer!

Why would you want to hunt game at 1000+ yards? Your not punching paper, or steel. Just in the time of flight, your game can move giving you a bad hit.
Come on. Lets not give the antis any more crap to throw in our face.

If you have to shoot at 1000 yards. Your not hunting! Get Closer!

I agree and disagree with you, it's a different type of challenge. BUT that's not what the OP asked about.

Thanks for all the info guys. I am still hoping for someone with personal experience with the Weatherby mk v TRR.

In Montana we have these animals called wolves that I do not mind taking bad shots at because if they do not die, I do not have to cut my tag and can keep shooting them.

There is also the chance that a once in a lifetime bull elk may be bedded at 1000 yds with not enough daylight to put a sneak on. I would like to have the equipment and skills developed to take that shot. I am pretty sure that the members of this site would have a better chance to make a clean kill at 1000 yards than the average hunter does at 300 yards.

Thanks for all the info guys. I am still hoping for someone with personal experience with the Weatherby mk v TRR.

In Montana we have these animals called wolves that I do not mind taking bad shots at because if they do not die, I do not have to cut my tag and can keep shooting them.

There is also the chance that a once in a lifetime bull elk may be bedded at 1000 yds with not enough daylight to put a sneak on. I would like to have the equipment and skills developed to take that shot. I am pretty sure that the members of this site would have a better chance to make a clean kill at 1000 yards than the average hunter does at 300 yards.

I've only had experience with three .338lm's. I started with a AR-30. It was a great entry rifle for this caliber. Long and heavy but under 1 moa with hand loads. Trigger could use some work but other than that it's a shooter right out of the box. A couple of friends have the Savage's. Pieces of crap IMO when compared to the AR-30. Stay away from them. I upgraded to the DTA SRS which is out of your price range and we all know their reputation. Probably should go with the Sako. As far as hunting extreme long range, your talk about elk reminds me of this thread from LRH.

1480 yd bull throgh the spotters eyes - Long Range Hunting Online Magazine