• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help ordering the right rings?

cgv69

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2009
Boone Co., KY
I have a Remington 700 5R in .223, an EGW Picatinny base (package says 0-MOA but you can tell by looking at it it’s a 20-MOA base) and a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x44mm scope. I bough TPS TSR “low” rings which are listed as being .925 tall but they turned out to be too tall. (See pic below). TPS makes a "Extra low" ring but they are only .105 lower so I don't see that getting me where I want to be.

I’m going to replace the TPS rings with Burris Xtreme Tac rings but I’m not sure if I should get the “Medium” (listed as being .500) or their “High” (listed as being .750). Based off of the numbers, I would assume I need the "High" rings but the thing is, I don’t trust the numbers or at least, I don't think both companies are measuring from the same location as I can’t see how TPS “low” rings would be higher then Burris “High” rings?

Any of you have the same or similar setup and can tell me for sure which rings I need? Again, I want the scope to be as low as possible while leaving just enough clearance for the flip up caps. Thanks!
R7005R.jpg

Re: Need help ordering the right rings?

With that scope and that base, I'd say to get the lowest scope rings that anyone makes and you'll still have clearance above the barrel.

Does Burris make a low XTR ring?

id say you could get away with the lowest rings of any manufacturer, pretty much anything scope under 50mm can.

even if you do you might need something to raise the comb, stock pact etc.

measure twice cut once!

Burris low rings should be just fine on that rifle/scope combo. That is one bad thing about EGW bases, those suckers are high vs other brands.

Just an FYI you could go with the SWFA SS rings and save a little money. They are pretty much the exact same thing as the Burris and a little cheaper. http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-Tac-30mm-1-Rings-P41851.aspx

Thanks for the replys guys. Is there a better picatinny base that I should have gotten that's in the same general price\quality range as the EGW but not as tall? I really want to get this scope low and don't want to have to resort to a cheek pad if possible?

TPS, IOR, Seekins, Badger are all a little lower than those. Tps will be the closest in price, I think they are around $60 for steel $50 for aluminum. I would still get the 20 MOA, its nice to have incase you need it. http://swfa.com/Remington-C2732.aspx

I have a 30 MOA Seekins on my rifle and it don't look as high as that one. EGW makes good stuff though.

You may still want to look into a Karsten cheek piece. They are pretty much the best thing going as far as an add on cheek piece.