• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help picking next suppressor

Baron85

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Mar 18, 2012
I’m looking for a shorter, lighter 30 cal can to use hunting. I currently have a TBAC 30ba and silencerco specwar 7.62. I want shorter and lighter but still good sound reduction. My top contenders are the tbac dominus, tbac ultra 7, dead air nomad ti. Is there a justifiable reason to spend the extra money on the dominus over the nomad? Are there others I’m missing from the list that I should consider?

Rifles I will use this on are a 12.5 6.8spc, 18” 223 AR, 18” 6.5x47, 24” 6.5 prc, 24” 7mm rem mag. Won’t be used for mag dumps, worst abuse will be 10-15 slow fire strings.

I’m looking for a shorter, lighter 30 cal can to use hunting. I currently have a TBAC 30ba and silencerco specwar 7.62. I want shorter and lighter but still good sound reduction. My top contenders are the tbac dominus, tbac ultra 7, dead air nomad ti. Is there a justifiable reason to spend the extra money on the dominus over the nomad? Are there others I’m missing from the list that I should consider?

Rifles I will use this on are a 12.5 6.8spc, 18” 223 AR, 18” 6.5x47, 24” 6.5 prc, 24” 7mm rem mag. Won’t be used for mag dumps, worst abuse will be 10-15 slow fire strings.
Unless you just want a TBAC, I personally don't see the point in it. But that's just me. To each, his own.

So, Nomad-Ti gets my vote. 👍🏼 I have the Nomad-LT and love it! If you want really quiet, the Nomad-LT isn't that much more bulky, but it only weighs 12.6 oz. It's SUPER quiet.

Having put rounds through all the cans you have listed the Dominus is probably the quietest. The Nomad is a great can and one of my best sellers due to its price point and performance. The Ultra 5 or the Sandman K are great hunting cans, wear you want suppression but you’re not going to be putting a lot of round down range in one siting.

Reactions: 260284
Unless you just want a TBAC, I personally don't see the point in it. But that's just me. To each, his own.

So, Nomad-Ti gets my vote. 👍🏼 I have the Nomad-LT and love it! If you want really quiet, the Nomad-LT isn't that much more bulky, but it only weighs 12.6 oz. It's SUPER quiet.
I have a nomad Ti in jail right now and I got it for the same reasons you are looking for. I don't see how it can be beat in quiet performance and weight it's ideal.

Reactions: FuhQ
Is there a big difference between the standard 1.5 od cans and the larger cans suchs as the ultra 7 vs dominus as far as backpressure in an AR?

There was rumor, on the last podcast, of a KGM group buy…just so you know.

Is there a big difference between the standard 1.5 od cans and the larger cans suchs as the ultra 7 vs dominus as far as backpressure in an AR?

That will all depend on bore aperture and baffle design. Larger od doesn't mean less or more.

For example cgs designed the Hyperion for maximum suppression and it has extremely high back pressure. The Hyperion K was designed to have extremely low back pressure while retaining as much suppression as possible. It would be very good on an AR. The Helios qd ti is in the middle. A bit more back pressure and quieter. It will require tuning to have it's potential realized on an AR.

The Nomad Ti has more back pressure than the Hyperion k and sandman s but less than a helios qd ti.

I'm unsure on the kgm but it has very low poi shift and is great on bolt guns.

Anyone have a link to the podcast that was referred too?

Yes and no. I will say this, the Sandman-S (1.5" OD) is a very low backpressure can (according to my non-scientific experience, and PEW Science's actual scientific experience 😂). It's not very gassy at all. I have 2 of them, and tested them side-by-side with my Nomad-LT on the same rifles, and while the Nomad-LT was noticeably more quiet on the same guns, due to the increased volume, it did seem to have about the exact same backpressure because the baffle design is for maximum sound suppression, not necessarily backpressure reduction.

I think baffle design has more to do with back pressure than diameter. But I'm not an expert in any way. Just my personal opinion.

Might want to throw the Silencerco Omega into the ring as well. I've used mine one all kinds of hosts over the last 7yrs and it's worked flawlessly. I use both the direct thread and QD mount system, and it retains accuracy and repeatability. They're among the lightest, shortest and quietest out there. I usually use it on my 24" 200wm and 18" 308 for deer season, but have also used it on my 10.5" 223 and it still manages to suppress quite well.

I pulled the trigger on a CGS Hyperion K. Still waiting for the stamp. It came down to the Dominus CB and the Hyperion. I didnt think there was any possible way the dominus CB was going to be $500 better so I went with the Hyperion K. I plan on using it on a 20" 6.5cm bolt gun, 16" 308 and 16" 6.5cm AR10 uppers.

I have an Ultra 7 and bought an ultra 5 for hunting. After hunting with both, the 2oz of weight difference and 2" is extremely negligible. But the sound difference isn't. The Ultra 5 is extremely barky. I am glad I bought it and use it frequently but I think an ultra 7 is the sweet spot in the TBAC lineup
I agree. IMO, cans under 6" x 1.5" OD on a centerfire are not worth the stamp or wait. If you're going to suppress something...Suppress it. Otherwise, why spend all the money and still feel the need to wear hearing protection? Seems redundant. But that's just my opinion.

The Sandman-S is a 6.8" can, and I don't think I'd want anything shorter than that. The only can shorter than that I would consider would be the Energetic Armament VOX-S. It's a 6" can, but it's proven itself to be extremely quiet (efficient) for its size.

Once again, it's just my opinion. It's nice to see someone who owns a 5" can give an honest review, instead of a justification. 👍🏼

Short cans (or more accurately, cans with low back pressure) are unlikely to perform well on a bolt gun when compared to a can with high back pressure. On an untuned semi-auto, such a suppressor can actually be quieter at the shooter's ear than a high back pressure can due to the reduction in ejection port signature, although they may appear louder to bystanders because the muzzle signature will likely be louder. The latter point is especially important when attempting to make a subjective evaluation based upon listening to your buddy shoot his Hushpuppy-K on a 11.5” Thunderfucker 300 gas gun; the two of you may have different impressions of the relative performance based upon your point of observation, and if not compared to a different can in a true double-blind random trial, good luck getting an unbiased observation.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. i found a nomad ti locally that I think I’m going to pick up. I like the fact I can direct thread or adapt to different muzzle devices. If it wasnt for that I would probably go dominus because I have been so happy with my 30ba but don’t want to shell out $125 for muzzle devices for each rifle.

Reactions: FuhQ
Thanks for all the feedback so far. i found a nomad ti locally that I think I’m going to pick up. I like the fact I can direct thread or adapt to different muzzle devices. If it wasnt for that I would probably go dominus because I have been so happy with my 30ba but don’t want to shell out $125 for muzzle devices for each rifle.
That's another big reason I like that can. I can use my yhm qd set up or direct thread it. I honestly don't know why anyone would make a new can that didn't have the 1.375x24 thread on the back. I know it can be difficult to adapt existing designs to accept that thread but for any new can, if I was a manufacturer, I'd make sure it had that thread. The sales of the Nomad make it pretty clear that a lot of people want that feature.

• Haha
Reactions: FuhQ and MOUNTIC
I have an Ultra 7 and bought an ultra 5 for hunting. After hunting with both, the 2oz of weight difference and 2" is extremely negligible. But the sound difference isn't. The Ultra 5 is extremely barky. I am glad I bought it and use it frequently but I think an ultra 7 is the sweet spot in the TBAC lineup
Pretty much this. I also have both the 5 and 7. Use both for hunting but the 7 is really the sweet spot.

You will enjoy the Nomad-Ti. If they have a Nomad-LT, and let you compare them, the extra length/volume makes a big difference on a bolt-action. 👍🏼