• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Need help picking out scope.

dannydifalco

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
New York
Hi everyone. I have a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308. I will be shooting 100yd to 500yd target shooting. I need a scope for it. Ive already had a Nikon 3-9x40. It didn't have enough magnification. I also have a millett 4-16x50. The quality is enough for me. My price range is $300ish ( i know its not alot ) but its all i have to work with right now.
My requirements for the scope are
-more then 10x magnification.
-Has a good, clear lens.
-durable(waterproof,fogproof, shockproof)
-lifetime warranty
-not made in china
-maybe target turrents
-mildot reticle
-parallax control

Thanks! i know its alot to ask but just baffled on what to pick!

Re: Need help picking out scope.

For the price range its gonna be hard to find something not made in China or Japan. Bushnell fixed 10x tactical, millett, Simmons 44mag series has a mildot sf that's pretty decent for less than $200, nikon buckmasters, or what I would probably do is save up and go to wonderoptics for a wotac. Wotac is about $350, but I don't think its lifetime warranty. Even better for about $400 new, vortex viper 65.-20x44. Not sure where its all made, but the quality is top notch for the money and their warranty is just about unbeatable! There's a lot out there, but most any in the price range is gonna have foreign parts anyhow.

I'm a fanboy, but I would say that Vortex is the way to go. If there has to be a modest budget, Vortex offers a lot with the best customer service and warranty. I'd lurk in the optics classified section here, and wait for a Vortex PST SFP to come up.

If you had a bigger budget I would still recommend a Vortex. However, there would be other manufacturers that would great options too.

I'd say just use the millet or nikon until you can save some more not much sense in picking up another low end optic unless your trying to start a collection.

I can think of some pretty good scopes in the 300$ range on sale but most of them dont have all the things you want. Is a mildot reticle a must? Its not gonna make much difference shooting paper at known distances and there are alot of good scopes in that price range WITHOUT a mildot reticle.

Only thing I can think of that has everything you want is SS 16x or 20x.

The SWFA non-HD fixed 10x scope is within the "-ish" part of your price range and has most of other features you want. There aren't any on the SampleList now (which would save a few bucks) but if you're patient and keep checking back, one might turn up sooner or later...

I'd save up. You can still shoot the hell out of that thing out to 300 yards and get much of the same knowledge/experience for shooting farther (except for wind...but just go out on super windy days). Anything you sell later you will take a big hit on. So get enough dough together to get something you'll be happy with for a long while.

thanks for the help guys! I just looked at a trijicon x-20x50 today for $900 and i love it! im just gonna keep the millett for now and save up!

I'd say Nikon is a good route for that price or maybe look around for an older Leupold. You'd be surprised if you look enough, there's some deals out there.

If your going to go ahead and save? I would take a long hard look at the Vortex PST. Lots of features. really clear glass and the best CS in the business!!
Do a search about there CS and you will be blown away!
Just my .02 Good luck what ever you do!!