• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need help rebarrel LR308 to LR260

sagebrush

Private
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2009
Nevada
I'd like to put a true match grade medium contour .260 barrel on my DPMS LR308. is it simply a matter of locating a barrel and swapping it? any changes to the bolt? any headspace issues to worry about?

if there is a trusted member that does this kind of work I'd be happy to talk.

thank you.

Re: Need help rebarrel LR308 to LR260

You're basically talking a barrel swap here and 99% of the time headspace is fine.That said, whoever I bought the barrel from I'd send them my bolt to let them check it.

The LR308 bbl swaps are easy and I've never had a headspace issue using DPMS bbls. I made a little jig out of red oak to support the upper in the vice. A torque and barrel wrench and you're all set.

thanks gents. Krecon1 are you happy with the factory barrels? I've heard the DPMS chambers are not always cut well but that could be a rumor? any advice on where to snag a good barrel for tactical match work?

give 737Shark a shout he can chamber a barrel for 250.00 thats with a match grade chamber on it for you I had him install a Rock 5R barrel onto my DPMS 308 with a 308 win match chamber on it and the rifle is way more accurate than I am and he can also thread it for additional cost as well

I will take pics an post them up in the morning so you can see his work

he may know where you can find a barrel blank at? if he doesn't have any to sell

his contact info is at sharksuppressors.com go check it out

DSCN1111.jpg

thread job on my barrel for this till I get a can for it

DSCN1110.jpg

DSCN1117.jpg

The factory bbls are good for the price point - around $300 for most. Consider the cost of the blank, bbl extension, and labor and you'll be at $500+ no time with a custom bbl. Most of the DPMS bbls will do 1MOA or a little better - not bad if you ask me for the price.

I converted several, when sending your upper, I always request the bolt to make sure its headspaced to that particular bolt. I just got done with a .243 with a bartlein barrel, sweet shooting gun now.