• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need help, Remington 742

Simonsza1

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2014
So I have a 742 that was completely disassembled probably two years ago to have cerakote and redo the wood. Rifle turned out nice and is completely back together except one thing. Funny that I got everything back together perfect except the bolt that holds on the forend. If I assemble it the way I believe it should go with the original parts that were there before then it is loose and the screw is bottomed out. I took a couple pictures of what parts I’m using. I have a threaded boss on the inside and a collar that seems to go in the front slightly pulled out in the picture for reference. I hope any of this rambling makes sense and someone can see what I’m missing. If I add another washer between the cap and the bolt instead of just the one in the photo it gets tight. But then you can hear the collar inside rattling around as it moves on the smooth part of the bolt.
F5A3FD04-74D3-42F5-8171-B4A01312BDB0.jpeg
F25928D2-E141-4186-BFC9-5EDED28F488C.jpeg
16BA731B-5268-4C04-A5A1-7FAF920C1196.jpeg
16BA731B-5268-4C04-A5A1-7FAF920C1196.jpeg

I think by the looks of it my washer is to thin. The bushing that guy uses is like five of my washers. It doesn’t show in the video where those two pieces I have in the nose of the forearm if there in the correct position.

Found this info that may help: "In the later Model 740 rifles and in the new Model 742 this is accomplished by making the fore-end screw with 2 separate threaded portions, each thread having a different pitch. When the screw is tightened, the parts arc drawn together by the differential action of the varying pitches, and the fore-end comes up tight with a small clearance remaining between its rear end and the front of the receiver."

Reactions: 338dude
Well this is definitely what I got. The tip of the bolt is 32 and the shoulder threads are 28. The front of the reciever and the threaded boss are both 32 so I don’t know what the 28 pitch is supposed to do.

I got two 7400s in the safe. I’ll go check, but I think one of mine moves as well.

Reactions: Simonsza1
So both are similar. One is missing a spacer. Both have no “wiggle” and are fairly snug. One of the 7400s has shorter barrel
A7C39AAB-26B8-40C8-B491-5C6F523BC8CF.jpeg
26B001EB-F680-484C-9C5F-BE637FA756C3.jpeg

Hey rooster do you have that sleeve and the threaded sleeve in the forearm itself. I have them just slightly pulled out in my pictures so you can see them.

I have that sleeve, but it appears neither are threaded on the 7400s I have.
7295F174-DF43-4C8C-851B-587DFDE74CC1.jpeg

Gotcha! I just don’t understand how the different thread pitch idea is supposed to work. When the threaded part up on the shoulder starts to thread into the threaded spacer it goes about two threads and then locks up.

It is interesting for sure, not sure what the true purpose would be to be honest. I know the 7400, 740, 742, whatever other model they swapped it around on weren’t overly popular. Seems they are finicky as well. Those two guns I have, one works like a champ and one short strokes all day long. Pretty sure that is due to some damage on the gas nipple, but that whole series of guns was prone to problems in my understanding.