• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need help removing barrel nut

rookie7

Outdoorsman
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2009
Georgia
Good morning!

I cannot get the barrel nut on my rra ar to break free. I am using the dpms all in one tool. I have been told you can put a mag in the mag well then clamp that to a vise.

I did, and all that happened was my mag got bent. I also placed the gun in a stuart gun vise to hold it. Still didn't work. I put a pipe on the dpms wrench to get some extra torque. No go.

I think I need a bigger vise, but aside from buying an action block what else can I do?

I don't want to break anything on my ar. If I do have to buy an action block which do you all recommend?

Thanks!

Re: Need help removing barrel nut

get some freese spray that should help release the threads, also make sure you get the correct action block dont use a mag as you will just do damage. also give the lock ring a tap with a soft faced mallet when it is frosen. Hope this helps if it is still solid send it to a smith that specalises in AR's might have to machine the barrel nut off then replace it with a new one.

You can use a torch to heat up the barrel nut and that should do it. Of course, you have to use a little common sense with the torch. An old trick is to put the entire upper in a freezer overnight and then heat the nut, works on the real stubborn ones. You can also try soaking the nut with penetrating oil, such as "Kroil" and that might help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wild_Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....................make sure you get the correct action block dont use a mag as you will just do damage................
</div></div>
Especially this!

Use an action block and insert like this one:
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...0ACTION%20BLOCK

It comes with a piece that inserts into the upper to keep from crushing it, as well as the block that surrounds and clamps the upper in your vise.
I would never use a lower, or anything inserted into it, to remove a barrel-nut.

I would think that doing this by holding the lower (or something inserted into a lower) could easily result in a ruined upper, or lower, or both. Those two little bitty ears on the upper were never designed to take the stress of nut removal/replacement.

I appreciate the help guys. I believe I will order the action block and a yhm barrel nut wrench. I'm installing yhm 9480 and a low profile gas block.

Can action blocks similar to the one at brownells be found cheaper? I need to save money if I can, but I will spend it if I have to to protect my rifle.

Thanks again for the help!

may be a stupid question, but you did take the gas tube out right?

I use the action block raf posted.

Someone probably will flame my ass but every so often you run into one that will defiy all of the above suggestions, it will break the tit's off your tool etc. Solution, a pipe wrench if you pad it you MAY salvage your barrel nut if not holler I will send you one por nada.

The pipe wrench is a good idea the nut is replacable, As for the tooling costs it may be better to post it to someone with the tools and get them to remove it and replace the barrel for you you will save a heap of money unless you feel you will be building a lot of rifles up the cost for just one rebarrel is probably not worth the money im sure someone would remove the barrel and replace it under $50 probably well under. It looks like Mark has the tools and spares im sure for a small fee he could at least remove the barrel and screw the new one in for you.
Rafael has the gear he might be able to remove the barrel or mabe someone could loan you the wrench and block and you could give them a small amount of cash to cover the use.

Shipping it to someone will probably be his last resort.
Best bet is hook up with a local, or just take it to a local smith......unless you want to have the tools for future projects.

I appreciate all the help guys. I may end up having to use a pipe wrench on the barrel nut. My rifle is a RRA mid length, and I have been told they sometimes torque those nuts down tight.

I would rather not hurt the existing barrel nut, but if I do it's no biggie. I'm installing a yhm rifle length free float quad rail, brownells low pro gas block, and a yhm flip up front sight. So I don't really need the original barrel nut.

I like to do things myself so I ordered an action block from Block-Worx off of ebay. I going to order the yhm forend wrench from Kevin at brightflashlights.com. He has great prices and excellent customer service. I highly recommend him.

Now I just need to lap the scope rings. I have never done that before, but it seems most of you serious LR shooters do it. Need to do some digging to find out exactly what to do.

I've got a model 1 sales detachable one-piece scope mount for it along with a leupold vxIII 1.75x6.

brightflashlights.com is where I always go for YHM stuff!

Be careful with the YHM wrench, the corners and edges on mine are very sharp. Easy to scratch stuff with. I keep meaning to break the edges of mine with a file........

The M1S mount isn't bad all in all, but I'd recommend getting a good mount if you plan on removing and replacing scope at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">..................... I may end up having to use a pipe wrench on the barrel nut. My rifle is a RRA mid length, and I have been told they sometimes torque those nuts down tight............... </div></div>

Mine is a Mid-length RRA, and mine came off just fine using the block and a DPMS multi-tool.

Not everyone laps all the time.
The biggest reason to lap the rings or bed the base is because of a poor fit between the action and the base leading to a distorted base.

Unless your uppper has been damaged, a flattop upper should have a true and flat base from the factory.
If you are using good quality rings you probably don't have a problem to fix.
Lapping is a good way to know for sure since it reveals misalignment, but I put my USO SN-4 on my RRA mid without even checking. I seriously doubt you need any correction.

I hardly ever remove the m1s mount, but what would you recommend?

Thanks!

LaRue or ADM. Pricey but worth it.
If you aren't going to remove it a set of high or X-high rings would work if the placement of the scope for your eye relief will allow it. If the rings are quality ones, and you mount the rings to the rail, then the scope to the rings you should be able to remove the whole setup and replace with good repeatability.
The repeatability comes from consistent torque on the base/rings. 65 in/lbs is the standard, but I've come to use hand tight plus 1/4 turn. Works within a 1/2 moa on my boltgun and my AR....

I am pleased with my American Defense mount.
The rings can be swapped for another size without replacing the entire mount.....just in case you change tube size.

Hey guys,

Since we're talking about mounts etc. I am setting up my first real long range rig and I need a little input. I have been reading on here for a few months. Lots of info.

Here's what I have:

1. Remington 700 sps tactical with hogue stock and 20" barrel

Here's the scope I'm going to buy that fits my budget:

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x16-40 with mil dot matte side focus

I am going to order an EGW picatinny base.

I'm leaning towards a 0 moa base b/c most of my shots will be less than 500 yards, but I do have the opportunity to shoot at 1000 yds across a sod field where I hunt.

The gun will do double duty sometimes as a whitetail rig which is why I went with a variable scope. However, I will probably rarely ever take it hunting b/c I bowhunt for whitetails 99.9% of the time. The only time I take a rifle is if my bow is out of service.

What height rings will I need with the setup? Mediums or high? Recommendations? I'll roll my own ammo for the most part.

I would like to see if I can consistently hit a trash can lid sized target at 1k.

THanks for the help guys!

Just a thought...... Are you turning the nut the right way? I'm guilty of that myself.

Ryan

After you get your action block (midway has model 1 sales blocks at 35.00) put
a heat gun to the nut. The aluminum will expand at a tremendous
rate, so go fast. The nut should come off easily. RRA uses loc-tight so it will take 200 to 300 degrees. Do it fast so you don't melt your action block.

I hope I am turning it the correct way. I read right to tight left to loose. So... if the gun is sitting in a vise you would rotate the barrel nut towards the dust cover side?

Right? If not ... oops!

The wrench should travel from the bolt-release-side, over the barrel, towards the dust-cover-side......with the gun sitting in normal firing orientation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rookie7</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Good morning!

I cannot get the barrel nut on my rra ar to break free. I am using the dpms all in one tool. <span style="color: #FF0000">I have been told you can put a mag in the mag well then clamp that to a vise. </span>

I did, and all that happened was my <span style="color: #FF0000">mag got bent. I also placed the gun in a stuart gun vise to hold it</span>. Still didn't work. I put a pipe on the dpms wrench to get some extra torque. No go.

I think I need a bigger vise, but aside from buying an action block what else can I do?

I don't want to break anything on my ar. If I do have to buy an action block which do you all recommend?

Thanks! </div></div>

Please STOP! You need the right tools. Go over to AFCOM and hit the hometown forum for your state. Some body will loan you the tools or have you stop by.
Also read the build it yourself forum.

You did pull the gas tube right?

Some tools you'll need :
6" bench mounted vise (4" will work)
USGI Barrel blocks (cheap and I've done 1,000's with them)
- DPMS Panther Claw over any clam shell block
Barrel wrench ( the DPMS one is good)
cheater pipe for barrel wrench
torque wrench (foot IBS)
1/16,5/64,3/32,1/8 punchs/pin set
grease so barrel does not seize.

That is just a start. You'll also want a strap wrench for the free float.

As stated above RRA uses loc-tight. So you can hit your barrel wrench hard with a dead blow hammer or use a hair dyer/heat gun.

Unless your doing more then five uppers/barrel changes, borrow the tools. I started years ago (26) with the USGI barrel block and USGI barrel wrench. Tools have come a long way. But they cost $$$$$$. You have a good wrench, borrow the rest to see what you like.

*If you use a clamshell block, USE THE INSERT. Otherwise you will crush the upper, easy fix.*

Hit it with some PB Blaster or Kroil. Let it sit overnight.

Put it on a DPMS "Panther Claw" block and use the DPMS Armorer's wrench. If that doesn't get you enough leverage, but a cheater bar on it.

You are very close to causing some expensive damage.

Send it to someone who deals in AR's. Either in your home state or a reputable shop. Pay them the $40 or so to do it, they have the right tools and it will be very quick.

I appreciate everyone's help - again. I did stop, b/c I didn't want to risk damaging my rifle. I ordered a dpms multi-tool from brightflashlights.com and it's here. Bought me a bigger vise from Lowe's - a nice 5" multi-purpose Wilton. I also ordered an action block from Block Worx. The guy is selling them on ebay, and I believe some guys have commented on them in a positive light over on Ar15.com ( by the way, why is it called Arfcom?).

I was looking forward to putting all these to use this week but I've had a couple of personal setbacks. I had ruptured my L5 disc in my back - the most pain i've ever had due to the nucleus pressing on my S1 nerve. I've even had kidney stones before and this was worse. So, 2 days ago on Wednesday I ended up having back surgery. I'll be out for awhile before I can do much. I want it to heal correctly. And on top of all that last night my youngest daughter (20 months) rapidly developed a fever of 104 - threw up - stopped breathing - and had a seizure. I called 911 while my wife ran over to my neighbors house. Thank God above that my neighbor cleared her airway. Our county EMT, fire dept, and sheriff deputies were here in less than 2 minutes. They stabilized my daughter and took her to the ER where nurses and doctors were ready and waiting. I had to stay home with my other 2 children and my wife road in the ambulance.

Needless to say we are worn out! Next week when we're all a little better we going to go by the fire house to personally thank the emt's and firefighters. Thank the Lord for them.

Off topic, but I had to share. When I do get the new forearm and all on the rifle I'll post a pic!

Ouch!!!
I hope you and yours get to feeling better in the shortest time possibe.

Man Rookie7, we will keep you in our prayers. God is still in the healing business!

shit rookie that's a tough shake to have all at once. I hope you and your daughter bounce back fast. That must have been horrifying.

Gentlemen,

I appreciate all the well wishes. Seems my middle daughter of 4 also contracted the virus that was having it's way with my 21 month old. Needless to say my wife is very tired and worn out right now taking care of all of us.

However, we're all on the road to recovery, and will be 100% somewhere down the road.

I've got a nikon scope on order for my 700 sps - waiting on it to get here. Now I need to track down a base and some rings. I was thinking of going with the EGW base, and whatever you all suggest for the rings.