• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help selecting my next rifle....

ach224

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2018
I'm looking for my next rifle, which will likely be my forever rifle. The use will be primarily for hunting (hogs and deer - maybe elk) and punching paper. This being said, I would also like something that will be able flirt one day with long range shooting.

For simplicity purposes, the have narrowed by my caliber selection to either .308 or 6.5CM. My total buget is about $1200 to $1500 including optics.

I'm considering 3 rifle options: Sauer 100 XT, Bergara B-14 HMR, or the Bergara B-14 Ridge. I'm torn between the sleek "classic" looks of the Sauer 100 and the semi tactical look of the HMR. I like the idea and flexiblity of the HMR however, I have heard about issues with the cheeck piece on the stock and mounting bases shearing off under recoil? The Ridge seems to be a happy medium of both.

So here are my questions:
1. Which caliber is better - both from a hunting perspective and long range perspective? Ranges probably would be only to 500-600yrds, but I know this stuff gets addicting!
2. What rifle? I want something that is practical for hunting application but looks respectable at a 500yrd range. Does anyone have experience or thought on these 3 rifles.
3. Last but not least, what optics should I be looking at? Fixed or variable? Powers? Most hunting will be done from 50-200yrds. I want to become proficient with one system, I not have to swap scope down the line.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance fore helping a newbie out!

For the purpose and ranges, pick whichever cartridge you find sexiest as both are more than enough for your needs.

Rifles? Not sure, but the Bergara will be more easily upgraded later down the line if funds permit. Personaly not a fan of sleeker hunting stock as they are not ergonomic to the firing wrist/finger.

Scope? Looking for something with turrets and a mil reticle? I’d look hard at the SWFA 3-9 optic or the SWFA 10x if you want a fixed. For your needs I’d look at the 3-9. Very solid optic that meets your budget. Buy used from samplelist.com and save money. And get a zero stop kit from TimK, WELL WORTH $22.

You might could find a Tikka CTR as well as a closeout or used; would be another quality option.

Get a 6.5CM Tikka CTR, find a Bushnell 3-12 or 4.5-18 LRTS/LRHS and thank me later. This is one of the only setups (around your budget) that can successfully transition between range work and hunting without sucking at either
This would put him over budget but I have that very same combo (CTR with a bushnell 4.5-18). This is a sweet combo.

Reactions: 260284
Thanks for the quick responses. I haven't really given the CTR a fair consideration, but will add it to my list. Looks like you can get the 20" barrel option for $910 and 24" barrel option for $1000. How big of a difference would the extra 4" make? Is it worth the addition 10% or should I put the extra $90 towards the scope?

Scope. You’re not shooting comps, and you'll not see the FPS difference.

Other than aesthetics, is there a difference between the blued and stainless?

Thanks for the quick responses. I haven't really given the CTR a fair consideration, but will add it to my list. Looks like you can get the 20" barrel option for $910 and 24" barrel option for $1000. How big of a difference would the extra 4" make? Is it worth the addition 10% or should I put the extra $90 towards the scope?
My 24" tikka ctr shoots Hornady ammo at 2650 fps while my 26" build with bartlein barrel flings them at 2700 fps. There isn't much of a difference. My 20" .308 vs my dad's 24" is about 100 fps truing at 825 yards. So I would bet that you would lose 100 fps with a 20" CTR over the 24".

Reactions: ach224
After doing some research (and everyones input) I think the Tikka CTR in 6.5CM which a 20" barrel is at the top of my list. Seems to be a good fit for what I'm trying to accomplish. Now to find a good deal on a scope! Thanks everyone for their help!

After doing some research (and everyones input) I think the Tikka CTR in 6.5CM which a 20" barrel is at the top of my list. Seems to be a good fit for what I'm trying to accomplish. Now to find a good deal on a scope! Thanks everyone for their help!
You will not be disappointed. It’s a great platform and you can easily modify it down road depending on your specific use. I have been running my floater optic SWFA 10x and love it. Just put a stock pack on for a better check position and good to go. I did get in on the last order of the Bushnell LRHSi’s which should be here today. Enjoy and don’t look back

Love me some Tikka. It edges the Bergara by a nose hair. My only complaint are the CTR magazines seem to be hit or miss. You can always upgrade your stock to a chasis or a better stock that accepts AICS pattern mags. Your first upgrade IMHO is to order a Yodave spring; cost is $10, totally worth it. Enjoy the Tikka!

Love me some Tikka. It edges the Bergara by a nose hair. My only complaint are the CTR magazines seem to be hit or miss. You can always upgrade your stock to a chasis or a better stock that accepts AICS pattern mags. Your first upgrade IMHO is to order a Yodave spring; cost is $10, totally worth it. Enjoy the Tikka!
What problems are you having with the Tikka mags? If you are having bolt ride over, just pull the follower and spring out and bend the spring slightly so that the follower has more tension in the rear. Problem solved. If there is any others let me know.