• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

need help setting up new rifle

Blushin

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2014
Bethany Beach, DE
hey all,

so i have had a rem 700 short action AAC-SD in .308 for a while now and am finally getting around to setting up the gun, been hunting too much and havent had the time, but now that waterfowl season is ending here in Delaware i figured its time to get this thing together. so ive ordered a vortex viper pst ffp 6-24x50 scope and am going to order a set of AADMOUNT rings for it. currently the gun has a larue steel 20 moa rail on it and thats what the scope and rings will be mounted on. only issue im having right now is deciding what height rings to get as AADMOUNT has 3 options. i have emailed them and have not heard back yet, but wanted to hear your thoughts.

i also have a Jewell trigger that will be installed shortly and a McMillan A3-5 Adjustable stock on the way.

thanks in advance for the help

phill

Last edited:
I have my Vortex HS-T 4-16x44 mounted in low rings. Still a good 1/4" clearance from the scope to the barrel. You should be good with low rings. Check out the How to measure ring height thread just to be sure.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...1-ring-height-info-how-measure-correctly.html

AADMOUNT list their ring heights as .83", .95", and 1.07". That should be from the top of the rail to the split in the scope ring.

Hope something here helps.

You will be fine with .83 Low rings. I run that height rings on my 56mm objective optics and still have a decent amount of clearance with some pretty big contours.

You will be fine with .83 Low rings. I run that height rings on my 56mm objective optics and still have a decent amount of clearance with some pretty big contours.

really? you think so? will there be enough room to run a set of their lens caps? id also like to be able to run an ADI/ACI mount on the rail under the rear of the scope

With a March 5-40x56 fx which has a bell that measures 2.5235" I have 0.1750 (two quarters and a dimes worth of clearance). This is on a factory remington 700 5r barrel so not quite the biggest contour but I know it has worked with brux m40 contour barrels as well. My stieners 5-25x56 Butler Creek flip ups won't fit on the march (caps are to small) but I think they would have room if they would fit. You could always go with a 1"-1.07" high set to give you that little wiggle room if needed. I prefer the optic to be as close to the barrel center line as possible so I've always ran the shorter 0.83 rings. Here are a few pics I snapped if they helps..

7asevetu.jpg

a5u5adyt.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

That's with a Nf 20moa base and America rifle company m10 rings which are low rings and 0.94".. You may want to go with 1" depending on optic you are running. I also know the S&B pmii 5-25x56 fits across the board with these rings which is the only thing I run on bolt guns.

That's with a Nf 20moa base and America rifle company m10 rings which are low rings and 0.94".. You may want to go with 1" depending on optic you are running. I also know the S&B pmii 5-25x56 fits across the board with these rings which is the only thing I run on bolt guns.

thanks for the help, ill be running a vortex viper pst 6-24x50 on a larue steel moa rail. so with my scope having a smaller bell, i would assume the .83 would be perfect, and as low as i could go with using the AADMOUNT rings right? and i think that would give me plenty of room for the caps

Should. My xrs which has a 50mm objective had plenty of room. I didn't run any caps on the xrs and always had a sunshade on it since I'm usually shooting towards the sun when I can get to the range. I would just verify the OD measurements of the viper pst and go from there. A buddy runs one with an AAC rem 700 and if I'm not mistaken runs the lowest burris mounts.