• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Need help sizing DC motor for mover

A&8's

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • I am NOT an electrical engineer. And I'm good with that. However, I need advice from one.

I have everything installed, except the electronics, for the mover at my range. Now I need to figure out what size motor.

If any of you really smart people would like to help a fella out, I would be greatly appreciated. Hell, I'll even hire you to tell me what to get.

Let me know what figures you need and I'll get them.

We can talk here, in PM, text or on the phone. I don't care. I just need to get this thing up and running before my next match, which is coming up in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Rich
    217-855-Zero 016

How much weight does it have to move?

Presumably you’re gonna it up to a car battery?

How much weight does it have to move?

Presumably you’re gonna it up to a car battery?

It takes 8lbs pulling force to move the target on level tracks. Personally, I would rather error on the high side and get enough juice to move 20lbs, to account for debris and other in the track system.

12V Deep cycle battery, or 2 wired in parallel will be used for power. I would like 12VDC. But, 24VDC is doable, too.

Last edited:
    I am an electrical engineer, and I design motors and actuators. Your post is missing some info, such as the type of mechanism your mover would require, the speed at which you want to move the mover, etc.

Instead of turning this into a complex application engineering session, I would simply recommend grabbing a motor/gearbox assembly such as that from windshield wipers, power windows, cordless drill, or a children's "Powerwheels" toy. Any of those should be sufficient to move a target across level ground at a reasonable speed.

Reactions: Nik H
    I am an electrical engineer, and I design motors and actuators. Your post is missing some info, such as the type of mechanism your mover would require, the speed at which you want to move the mover, etc.

Instead of turning this into a complex application engineering session, I would simply recommend grabbing a motor/gearbox assembly such as that from windshield wipers, power windows, cordless drill, or a children's "Powerwheels" toy. Any of those should be sufficient to move a target across level ground at a reasonable speed.

I didn't want to throw in a lot of info that may not have been useful. Which is why I would like to speak to someone directly.

This is for a range that holds monthly matches, as well as being open for classes. So, I don't want something that is cobbled together with tiny powerwheel motors that will only work for a short time. But, at the same time, I don't want to spend $7K on one, either. I just don't want to get a small DC motor for $70 and figure out it's too small. Then another $100 on another to find the same. Next thing you know, I have 2x the price of the correctly sized motor. Ya know.

You could get a motor from a used electric motorcycle also for kids. Adults ridem.

Get a power wheelchair motor off of eBay. Their cheap and powerful and rugged. Get an electric motor speed controller (AKA PWM controller) from Amazon. This will give you a rugged and reliable motor that you can adjust the speed. Probably $100 total depending on what motor you select. Even the smallest wheelchair motor will move 8 pounds.

Get a power wheelchair motor off of eBay. Their cheap and powerful and rugged. Get an electric motor speed controller (AKA PWM controller) from Amazon. This will give you a rugged and reliable motor that you can adjust the speed. Probably $100 total depending on what motor you select. Even the smallest wheelchair motor will move 8 pounds.

The gearing is so low on those (usually 60 or 120rpm, depending on input voltage) that I'd need a huge set of pulleys (or complex pulley system) to get the mover traveling 5mph. Right? If my "off the top of my head math" is right (or close), I'll need a belt speed (the cable attached to the mover trolley) to be about 440ft/min to get 5mph. I just don't see how I can get that with a motor running 60/120rpm. But, then again....that's why I'm asking. This stuff has made my brain hurt for the past week or so. lol

The gearing is so low on those (usually 60 or 120rpm, depending on input voltage) that I'd need a huge set of pulleys (or complex pulley system) to get the mover traveling 5mph. Right? If my "off the top of my head math" is right (or close), I'll need a belt speed (the cable attached to the mover trolley) to be about 440ft/min to get 5mph. I just don't see how I can get that with a motor running 60/120rpm. But, then again....that's why I'm asking. This stuff has made my brain hurt for the past week or so. lol
    Instead of pulleys and belts you could go chain and sprocket. Healthy supply of sprockets ranging from 12t to 60t

I am NOT an electrical engineer. And I'm good with that. However, I need advice from one.

I have everything installed, except the electronics, for the mover at my range. Now I need to figure out what size motor.

If any of you really smart people would like to help a fella out, I would be greatly appreciated. Hell, I'll even hire you to tell me what to get.

Let me know what figures you need and I'll get them.

We can talk here, in PM, text or on the phone. I don't care. I just need to get this thing up and running before my next match, which is coming up in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Rich
    217-855-Zero 016

Why don't you ask @lowlight what system he uses in his classes? I'm pretty sure it's portable and you just need trees to attach.

No, the gearing is faster than that. Since you didnt elaborate on your mechanics its hard to make a perfect recommendation. But from my own experience: I have a set of these motors I bought off Ebay for a project. If you put a good size pulley on them they would definitely pull a target at 5mph. Oversize the pulley and now maybe your're going 10mph but thats OK because you can just slow it down electrically with the Electronic speed controller. Here's an ebay link https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...7.m570.l1313&_nkw=power+chair+motors&_sacat=0

And a speed controller with reverse: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1126322012...R5JWdjyPxUrDeg%3D%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2334524

Reactions: A&8's
    Just ran some numbers and assumed you attached a target to a cable or chain wrapped around a drive pulley at the motor: 5mph = ~ 90"/sec. If the circumference of your drive pulley was 90" (28.6662" D), the target would travel at 5mph if the motor spun 60RPM. 14"D drive pulley would have to spin at 120RPM. A 7" pulley would need 240RPM.

Why don't you ask @lowlight what system he uses in his classes? I'm pretty sure it's portable and you just need trees to attach.

I know what Frank uses. It’s a Blinktroll. As stated in the OP, I have everything already installed. Concrete pillars, tracks and trolley. Just need electronics.

I spoke this eve with a Hide member and he pointed me in the right direction, using the same stuff he uses on his movers.

Reactions: Mike_in_FL
    @A&8's i have been trying to come up with a mover at our range can you up date this when you get yours up and running I'm looking for ideas/help getting ours set up thanks

Reactions: A&8's