• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Need Help Spending My Money!

3bnRanger

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Gentlemen-
Unfortunately I can't foot the bill for a GAP rifle at this point in my marriage so I'm looking for guidance in the pursuit of my accuracy bug. I will be working with a stock Remington 700 PSS in .308. Here's a wish list in order of importance, please feel free to give advice or guidance where necessary.

1. A new stock (I greatly dislike H.S. Precision) I’m thinking a McMillan A-4, A-3, or the new A3-5, pillar bedded.

2. A detachable mag installed (is this possible if my PSS does not possess the detachable mag).

3. A new barrel and trued action.

4. A competent gunsmith in the Cincinnati area to complete the work (willing to travel).

Please let me know if I'm on the right track or feel free to contact me if you have supplies you are willing to sell. What am I looking at for a total cost with the above upgrades?

Thanks!

Re: Need Help Spending My Money!

personally, I would forgo the truing right now. slap a mcm or manners on it badger or the like bottom metal spend the money you would spend @ the smith and invest it on top of what you planned for your optics. and buy first rate mounts. just how i would do it given the parameters you provided.

What do you mean you can't afford a custom build? You spend to do all that, you have a custom build. Use the money you were going to re-work the Remington set it aside then sell the Remington, pool the money, and have a rifle built.

Or sell the Remington and buy a good used rifle from the forsale section or look at some of the other builders on the hide and see what prices they can give you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(I greatly dislike H.S. Precision)
</div></div>

why?

grasshopper...............feel the force.............

get a good aftermarket trigger and a case of match ammo and get good while you try to wear the original barrel out.......

Should have mentioned I already have the glass, an IOR 4-14x50 30mm SF Tactical Scope Illuminated MP-8 Dot Reticule.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(I greatly dislike H.S. Precision)
</div></div>

why? </div></div>

I must be weird....the rifle fits me horrible. I have more 100 mph tape and pads on it that it looks like modern art.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">grasshopper...............feel the force.............

get a good aftermarket trigger and a case of match ammo and get good while you try to wear the original barrel out....... </div></div>

The trigger has been adjusted to 3 lbs. and the creep taken out. I've put over 5,000 rounds through various PSS systems....so no offense, but I think I can start looking to upgrade.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(I greatly dislike H.S. Precision)
</div></div>

why? </div></div>

I must be weird....the rifle fits me horrible. I have more 100 mph tape and pads on it that it looks like modern art. </div></div>

ok, so you don't like that hsp stock. i thought you meant you greatly disliked hsp as a company.

if the stock doesn't fit you, change it out for one that does and add a dbm. see where you are at that point. if it does not shoot the way you think it should, then consider a new barrel and action truing. once the rifle fits you, you may find it does everything you want it to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">grasshopper...............feel the force.............

get a good aftermarket trigger and a case of match ammo and get good while you try to wear the original barrel out....... </div></div>

The trigger has been adjusted to 3 lbs. and the creep taken out. I've put over 5,000 rounds through various PSS systems....so no offense, but I think I can start looking to upgrade. </div></div>

3pounds and over 5k....and you still ain't figured it out ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">(I greatly dislike H.S. Precision)
</div></div>

why? </div></div>

I must be weird....the rifle fits me horrible. I have more 100 mph tape and pads on it that it looks like modern art. </div></div>

ok, so you don't like that hsp stock. i thought you meant you greatly disliked hsp as a company.

if the stock doesn't fit you, change it out for one that does and add a dbm. see where you are at that point. if it does not shoot the way you think it should, then consider a new barrel and action truing. once the rifle fits you, you may find it does everything you want it to. </div></div>

I should have been more specific...my apologies, no issues with HSP as a company. I need something with an integral adjustable cheekpiece or adjustable saddle type cheekpiece and adjustable spacer system for length of pull. What does "dbm" mean?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">grasshopper...............feel the force.............

The trigger has been adjusted to 3 lbs. and the creep taken out. I've put over 5,000 rounds through various PSS systems....so no offense, but I think I can start looking to upgrade. </div></div>

3pounds and over 5k....and you still ain't figured it out ? </div></div>

Sorry....I'm no Jedi like you.

touchy young grasshopper!!!! I dont know why you would need our opinion seems to me you already got it all figured out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">touchy young grasshopper!!!! I dont know why you would need our opinion seems to me you already got it all figured out. </div></div>

Thanks for your contribution.

I'm having trouble following the posts above so, I may be way off base. Here's what I think others are referring too:

For the cost of the work you are requesting, you could sell your rifle and add the gunsmith money and get a great used rifle off the forum for the same money.

Restock the rifle you have now. They are capable of great accuracy and your main problem seems to be the stock. I just got a custom McMillan HTG stock. The difference of having the rifle fit ME instead of the fitting MYSELF to the rifle is enormous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sid Post</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm having trouble following the posts above so, I may be way off base. Here's what I think others are referring too:

For the cost of the work you are requesting, you could sell your rifle and add the gunsmith money and get a great used rifle off the forum for the same money.

Restock the rifle you have now. They are capable of great accuracy and your main problem seems to be the stock. I just got a custom McMillan HTG stock. The difference of having the rifle fit ME instead of the fitting MYSELF to the rifle is enormous. </div></div>

Thank you!! Did you have the rifle bedded or just drop the action in. I'm estimating around $500 for the stock. I don't believe I'm skilled enough to attempt a bedding job myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3bnRanger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
if the stock doesn't fit you, change it out for one that does and add a dbm. see where you are at that point. if it does not shoot the way you think it should, then consider a new barrel and action truing. once the rifle fits you, you may find it does everything you want it to. </div></div>

I should have been more specific...my apologies, no issues with HSP as a company. I need something with an integral adjustable cheekpiece or adjustable saddle type cheekpiece and adjustable spacer system for length of pull. What does "dbm" mean? </div></div>

detachable bottom metal.