• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Need Help. Stuck between two suppressors

summersux

Private
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2009
Lancaster Co, Pennsylvania
Hi,
I am stuck on the fence between two suppressors right now.

YHM SS Phantom .308

Gemtech HVT SS

I had ordered the Gemtech, but it has been backordered since February, and still no sign of it coming in. I can't sent the form 4 to wait for the atf until it comes! The local dealer has a quick detach YHM phantom in stock right now. What's the better suppressor of the two? Would you jump for the YHM because I can have the paperwork started?

I hear the YHM is loud and heavy, but the dealer says it will be quieter than the Gemtech. I have also read about it that it's a good suppressor for the first time buyer. (Me) I will be shooting this mostly on a 20" 5R and want it to be quiet as possible to help with alerting the neighbors when a backyard pest is dispatched. I would also like to get my savage .223 threaded to be able to put this on as well, and also my .300wsm because any help there would be welcome! (Savage 12, I would have to have it threaded as well.) Is there much difference between the two? Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to try either of these two out. Any help would be appreciated! What do you guys think? I kind of like the idea of the YHM muzzle break on the gun when the suppressor is not in use, but I have a gut feeling the Gemtech is the way to go. I thank you for your help!

Re: Need Help. Stuck between two suppressors

phantom Ti if you can wait and can swing price. less that half the weight of the ss version.

Just my experience....the YHM works fine. You can get a 308 very quiet especially with subsonics (22 cal. or less sound wise) but good luck with the 223...the neighbors will hear that one.

It's great that your getting into the game! That being said, your first can should be something awesome. You have done A ton of research and you know what you are getting into! Get the can that you really want! You will have this thing forever!

IMHO, YHM. But as davwil says, take into account the cans bore. Larger bore, lower baffle strikes, decreased suppression.

yhm. gemtech...eek

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yhm. gemtech...eek </div></div>
lol this

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">phantom Ti if you can wait and can swing price. less that half the weight of the ss version. </div></div>

I would also check on the Ti can. Also recommend a thread on instead of a QD can. My first can was a phantom 308 QD stainless. It was very heavy and I did not like the poi shift. I am thinking of selling it now. I now have a tiger shark and a shark. Love them. Although a lot more money. My advice is buy the best you can afford. Just my .02 cents.

buy anything.......it won't be the last one.......watch, that dick head in CO has fucked it for everyone......you should be pleased with almost anyones can

I love my quicksand, which is a Titanium HVT. Love it.

As much of a PITA it is to get a new suppressor, it always pays to bite the bullet and get the one that you really want.

IMO
YHM makes decent products, but the Gemtech HVT is in a different category than the YHM.
The YHM products are really more geared to budget conscience than the performance savvy customer.
The HVT is a good product for the price.
If you are looking more toward precision performance though, the TBAC 30P-1 or 30BA are worth looking at.

i do not have either suppressors, but i can tell you firsthand that YHM customer service is great. so should anything happen, i'm sure they'll take care of you. i haven't heard the same about Gemtech.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: operator45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">phantom Ti if you can wait and can swing price. less that half the weight of the ss version. </div></div>

Yep. That's what I got and use it, love it, and can't shoot without it !!